Looking for a Joomla extension...

Question

...if there is one. What I need is a search extension, but more complex than just a keyword search. For example, I assign some custom fields to an article (let's say I want an article with a PC for sale, and I want some indexed fields, like memory type, cpu socket, etc.) and I want the user to be able to search the site via those custom fields (selectable by checkboxes or dropdown lists). I hope you know what I mean. :)

So, is there any extension that would let me do that?

Thank you.

4 answers to this question

So you want the user to be able to perform a search like this:

(Searchbox)= PC

(Dropdown)= CPU > 3.0 ghz

(Dropdown)= Memory > 4gb DDR3

Or did i get the wrong end of the stick?

You need to edit the search options and add some dropdown fields.

The thing is any addon i know will just add the options you choose from the dropdown as keywords.

so the search will end up like:

PC+CPU+3ghz+Memory+DDR3.

Your better off creating categories to search via or make use of the tags function.

So you want the user to be able to perform a search like this:

(Searchbox)= PC

(Dropdown)= CPU > 3.0 ghz

(Dropdown)= Memory > 4gb DDR3

Or did i get the wrong end of the stick?

You need to edit the search options and add some dropdown fields.

The thing is any addon i know will just add the options you choose from the dropdown as keywords.

so the search will end up like:

PC+CPU+3ghz+Memory+DDR3.

Your better off creating categories to search via or make use of the tags function.

Well, to be honest, I don't need a keyword search at all, just dropdowns. BUT! I need the dropdowns to change according to the user selection on the previous one (or something like this). For example, if the first dropwdown is the CPU manufacturer and the user chooses Intel, the second one that would be the socket type should display only Intel sockets. And this I don't think it's possible with just tags or categories...

There is a way of doing this because I have seen it done before. You could do it in simple PHP then pipe the output to the normal joomla search engine.