Converting Video from a DVD VHS Backup

Question

So, I have some video I backed up from a VHS tape.

I usually use MakeMKV to back it up to another place, but this particular DVD is not playing game.

Now this particular DVD has a VIDEO_TS folder (which I have been able to copy to the PC) and a VIDEO_RM folder. I used a special program to back it up, although I don't remember what that was now.

I tried opening the files in MakeMKV from the PC but the program just hung half way through the conversion to MKV. I have yet to find if it is just one video that is doing it.

post-39459-0-09927300-1319055430_thumb.j

Is there another program I can try, even if it converts it to AVI or something? Or if the DVD is a little corrupt, then is there something that can repair it?

The video has about 6 different programs but when writing them to the DVD, it has put them together so two programs span one VOB file. I guess at a push I could split them up, then merge the correct parts together - can anyone recommend anything (apart from AVS video re-maker) which would be good for this?

Any tips or pointers would be grand.

Thanks

2 answers to this question

This may as well be locked.

I managed to solve it by simply getting the program to convert each video separately (without subtitles as there were none anyway!).

It errored a few times but I kept on converting them and eventually the program just closed without deleting the file it had converted.

Thanks for reading though.

This may as well be locked.

I managed to solve it by simply getting the program to convert each video separately (without subtitles as there were none anyway!).

It errored a few times but I kept on converting them and eventually the program just closed without deleting the file it had converted.

Thanks for reading though.

Curious, but what christmas thing - good was it?