Android Ice Cream Sandwich coming to all Gingerbread devices

Ice Cream Sandwich could find its way onto Android smartphones within weeks, according to Google's Andy Rubin.

Rubin confirmed to AllThingsD that the updated operating system will be released "a matter of weeks" after the latest Ice Cream Sandwich phone - the Samsung Galaxy Nexus - is released in November.It's not known which OEMs will push the update, or which handsets it will be deployed on, but Google has said that it will be landing on all Gingerbread devices.

http://www.techradar...-launch-1035077

:D :D :D :D :D :D :D :D :D :D :D :D :D :D :D :D :D :D

I was almost certain it'd be coming to a lot of gingerbread devices anyway but this is great news.

I'm not sure where they got their quote, but I heard Google say it should run on any phone that currently has Gingerbread, speaking only of the system requirements. I can almost promise you it won't be released for every single current gingerbread device. That's asking a lot of the manufacturers and carriers that typically only push 2 or 3 updates per phone. There are a lot of current GB devices that are probably considered to be at the end of their lifecycle and won't get updated again. I guess we'll just have to wait and see.

I definitely hope that my Galaxy S (i9000) gets the official update. Even if not, there are good chances from the custom ROM community considering sources from the Nexus S can be used.

COULD is the correct term not WILL Just saying, it is up to the device manufactuers and carriers if an update is sent out for a phone (however if you want to root the phone then it is likely that you are going to be able to have it on your phone at some point or another.

I think this was saying devices that came with Gingerbread rather than those updated to it. If your phone came with GB, it can't be more than 1yr old anyways (i think) since the last Nexus came out in December?

Anyways, here's to some ICS on my SGS2! Can't wait! :woot:

I think this was saying devices that came with Gingerbread rather than those updated to it. If your phone came with GB, it can't be more than 1yr old anyways (i think) since the last Nexus came out in December?

Anyways, here's to some ICS on my SGS2! Can't wait! :woot:

Well if Google actually said what they're quoted to have said, they need to be clearer, but yeah I'm happy either way as I have an SGS2 too!

I'm just not sure how ice cream sandwich works with the lack of a menu key.. :unsure:

I definitely hope that my Galaxy S (i9000) gets the official update. Even if not, there are good chances from the custom ROM community considering sources from the Nexus S can be used.

See, that's a good example. The SGS series of phones launched with Eclair, got updated to Froyo, then updated to Gingerbread. I have a feeling they are not going to get an update to ICS, but would be very pleasantly surprised to find otherwise. I have an Infuse which is pretty much halfway in between the SGS and the SGS II, and I'd be surprised if we got it. We're still waiting on official Gingerbread as it is. SGS II, however, is almost certain to get ICS.

Well if Google actually said what they're quoted to have said, they need to be clearer, but yeah I'm happy either way as I have an SGS2 too!

I'm just not sure how ice cream sandwich works with the lack of a menu key.. :unsure:

That's the thing. The quoted article from TechRadar doesn't have a quote. The closest quote I've heard to anything like that is this: "Currently in the process for releasing Ice Cream Sandwich for Nexus S. Theoretically should work for any 2.3 device." from Engadget.

COULD is the correct term not WILL Just saying, it is up to the device manufactuers and carriers if an update is sent out for a phone (however if you want to root the phone then it is likely that you are going to be able to have it on your phone at some point or another.

Google was supposed to be working with the carriers to make updates quicker.

My HTC Desire is currently running Gingerbread - not the HTC release, the CyanogenMod 7.1 edition. But there's no way in hell HTC are going to be looking at pushing ICS to a phone such as mine, so the only way I'll ever see it is if a custom rom comes along (e.g. CM9.0 for starters). I suspect I'm not alone, Google may well have said GB devices are capable of ICS but that's not an indication of manufacturers actually making sure we get it.

I'll be surprised if it VZW pushes this to my Droid X, but it would be nice.

There are a lot of current GB devices that are probably considered to be at the end of their lifecycle and won't get updated again. I guess we'll just have to wait and see.

Guess 12+ months is considered end of life of any Android phone. Sad considering carriers still sell those phones and customers are stuck with them for ~16-24 months (depending on contract conditions).

I can't see O2 pushing Ice Cream Sandwich to my Galaxy Ace since that's just my luck, but we'll see. If not maybe it would be time to consider rooting the handset and getting a stock Android ROM of ICS running.

ICS will be released for all devices currently running Gingerbread or all devices with Gingerbread installed by default???

Guess 12+ months is considered end of life of any Android phone. Sad considering carriers still sell those phones and customers are stuck with them for ~16-24 months (depending on contract conditions).

It's pretty bad. There should be a minimum of 24 months required since that matches most people's contract lengths.