21 replies to this topic

#1 +warwagon

warwagon

Only you can prevent forest fires.

• 25,901 posts

Posted 20 October 2011 - 18:16

How to fix Spinrite’s Division Overflow Error when scanning larger drives

Posted Image

As some of you who use spinrite very frequently may have noticed, spinrite will usually crash when scanning larger drives (in my experiences it's been on drives over 640GB). Once spinrite gets to a certain point in the scan, it will throw up a red screen with a “Division Overflow Error'. This usually occurred over 50% into the scan depending on the size of the drive.

After researching the error online, it appears that it’s not a problem with spinrite but an issue with the FreeDOS (MS-DOS) clone that Steve Gibson bundles with spinrite.

To get around this issue, you have to create a bootable Disc or USB stick with MS-DOS instead of FreeDOS.

To make things easy on you I’m going to walk you through how to make a bootable MS-DOS USB key with spinrite. (Since most computers can now boot from USB drives)

First we are going to download a utility made by HP called “HP USB Disk Storage Format Tool”. This tool allows you to easily format a USB
stick and turn it into MS-DOS bootable drive all at the same time.

Posted Image

You can download it from here

http://files.extreme.../file.php?f=197

Next we need the MSDOS files to go onto the stick. I would love to link you to the files needed but, Unfortunately Neowin would probably lock or delete my thread if I did. All I will tell you is to Google “How to Make a MS-DOS Bootable Flash Drive”. The first link should have the files you need.

Next extract those files to the folder of your choice.

Now open the HP USB Disk storage format tool (if you are on Vista or 7 run the application as administrator.)

Select the usb drive you wish to use. Put a check in “quick format” and “Create a DOS start-up disc and using DOS system files located at.

Now Click browse and find folder you extracted the MS-DOS files to.

Now click start.

That’s pretty much it, all you have to do now is take your spinrite.exe file and put a copy of it on the root of the usb stick you just formatted.

Now let’s test it out.

Put the usb stick in your computer, tell your computer to boot from the newly formatted usb device and once you are at a DOS prompt type “Spinrite” and press enter.

If spinrite loads then get out of your chair and do the happy dance. If spinrite does not load, then you may have missed a step. Try it again. You'll eventually get to the happy dance!

#2 jimmyfal

jimmyfal

Neowinian

• 1,060 posts

Posted 20 October 2011 - 18:33

shshshshs, don't tell anyone else about spinrite!

#3 OP +warwagon

warwagon

• 25,901 posts

Posted 20 October 2011 - 18:47

shshshshs, don't tell anyone else about spinrite!

It's ok, a few members here think spinrite is snake oil anyway :)

#4 jimmyfal

jimmyfal

Neowinian

• 1,060 posts

Posted 24 October 2011 - 15:39

It's nice to know that in this sea of really smart computer guys, there are a percentage,that in this instance anyway, don't know what the **** they are talking about.

#5 Teebor

Teebor

Neowinian Senior

• 3,649 posts

Posted 24 October 2011 - 16:07

Spinrite has always been one of those programs I have told people to buy based on its reviews and functionality but I've never actually had the opportunity to use it myself.

One day I will !! yes I will !!

#6 doubledeej

doubledeej

Resident One Post Wonder

• 1 posts

Posted 18 February 2013 - 17:49

I know I'm late to the party here, but I can confirm that running SpinRite under legitimate versions of DOS do NOT eliminate this error. I'm on my 5th drive in a row that causes SpinRite to crash, and I'm running off of a real honest-to-goodness Microsoft startup disk. Same division error.

#7 OP +warwagon

warwagon

• 25,901 posts

Posted 20 February 2013 - 16:01

I know I'm late to the party here, but I can confirm that running SpinRite under legitimate versions of DOS do NOT eliminate this error. I'm on my 5th drive in a row that causes SpinRite to crash, and I'm running off of a real honest-to-goodness Microsoft startup disk. Same division error.

Don't know what to tell you but that error has pretty much vanished for me now.

#8 Christopher Mercer

Christopher Mercer

Neowinian

• 2 posts

Posted 19 March 2013 - 07:50

I know this was posted a couple years ago but this is the first time I have come across this error. I was so glad to find this post. Thank you for posting how to do this. I hope that it works. So far all seems to be working well, just a matter of seeing if that error shows up again. Spinrite has always worked well for me, except for when I tried to revive a dead drive, so i'd like to trust that its still a good program.

I'll let you know in the next day or so if it worked for me. Thanks again.

#9 Christopher Mercer

Christopher Mercer

Neowinian

• 2 posts

Posted 19 March 2013 - 11:17

Sorry to double post, but to update my previous post, I used the OP's instructions, installed MS DOS drivers to a 1 GB USB flash drive, copied the spinrite file to the root of the flash drive, booted up the flash drive to the MS-DOS command prompt, typed in spinrite.exe and it ran, but unfortunately, I still had the division overflow error. This was run on a 1TB drive. I don't know what difference it makes but either way, I had the same results running spinrite on this drive. Thanks for the suggested solution, but it did not appear to work in my situation.

#10 ArtistX

ArtistX

Neowinian

• 196 posts

Posted 19 March 2013 - 11:34

email steve gibsons support people and tell them to update the software, as paying customers you have the right to working functional software

#11 Jason Stillion

Jason Stillion

Neowinian

• 1,333 posts

Posted 19 March 2013 - 12:56

Have they ever updated spinrite to work with newer SATA controllers?
I bought it but got a refund due to it not detecting any drive's on my system(s).

#12 ArtistX

ArtistX

Neowinian

• 196 posts

Posted 19 March 2013 - 13:34

I have tried it on the few 500GB sata drives i have and it works, I have never hit that error, but you would think they would update it as drives get bigger and bigger, but I guess they dont really care too much about their paying customers

#13 OP +warwagon

warwagon

• 25,901 posts

Posted 21 March 2013 - 21:49

I have tried it on the few 500GB sata drives i have and it works, I have never hit that error, but you would think they would update it as drives get bigger and bigger, but I guess they dont really care too much about their paying customers

Steve Gibson said that Spinrite 6.1 is in the works and will be a free update to all existing customers. As far as spinrite not detecting the drive, if you go into the bios and switch it from ahci to IDE that usually works.

#14 Ted Vetzal

Ted Vetzal

Resident One Post Wonder

• 1 posts

Posted 05 April 2013 - 02:35

I am a paying customer and I did contact GRC. Turns out it is an issue with the BIOS on the MB. Ran it in another computer and it had no problems with my 2TB Seagate drives.

#15 OP +warwagon

warwagon

• 25,901 posts

Posted 05 April 2013 - 02:43

I am a paying customer and I did contact GRC. Turns out it is an issue with the BIOS on the MB. Ran it in another computer and it had no problems with my 2TB Seagate drives.

Hooray!

Click here to login or here to register to remove this ad, it's free!