Photo

• Please log in to reply
28 replies to this topic

#1 dre2112

dre2112

Neowinian

Posted 20 October 2011 - 20:41

I have 3 computers and 1 laptop on a home network and all of a sudden my laptop cannot connect to the PC with the printer attached to it. Every time I try to print I get an error message so I checked and when I try to access the PC from my laptop through the network it keeps asking me to enter a password.

I never had this problem before. I never had to enter a password before, btu all of a sudden it asks me for one. I have file and printer sharing ON and network passwords OFF but it still asks for one when accessing the PC from my laptop. None of the other PCs/laptops on my network require a password to connect to that PC.

It's driving me nuts!

#2 articuno1au

articuno1au

Neowinian Senior

• Tech Issues Solved: 2

Posted 20 October 2011 - 20:43

Do you have the same username on the computer with the printer and the one you are having issues with?

If you do, that could be causing the issue..

#3 OP dre2112

dre2112

Neowinian

Posted 20 October 2011 - 21:14

Nope, different usernames. We're on the same network and everything too. Not sure what's going on

#4 +PeterUK

PeterUK

Neowinian Senior

• Tech Issues Solved: 4

Posted 20 October 2011 - 22:49

When the login comes up try user name guess without a password.

#5 Original Poster

Original Poster

C++ n00b

• Tech Issues Solved: 1

Posted 20 October 2011 - 22:51

remove the program bonjour from your computer. this seems to be the cause of some networking issues on windows 7 machines (occasionally) ... remove.... restart every machine (and your network just to be sure) turn everything back on 5 mins later.... try again (remove bonjour from every pc most people never use/need or even know what it is )

#6 OP dre2112

dre2112

Neowinian

Posted 21 October 2011 - 08:54

sorry, none of those things worked.

Not sure why my printer PC is only asking my wireless laptop for a network password when it doesn't for any of the others.

#7 +PeterUK

PeterUK

Neowinian Senior

Posted 21 October 2011 - 14:18

On the PC with the printer try sharing a folder for everyone and then try accessing it.

#8 OP dre2112

dre2112

Neowinian

Posted 21 October 2011 - 18:50

that doesn't change anything. still asks for password

#9 Anthonyd

Anthonyd

Neowinian

Posted 21 October 2011 - 18:55

I have 3 computers and 1 laptop on a home network and all of a sudden my laptop cannot connect to the PC with the printer attached to it. Every time I try to print I get an error message so I checked and when I try to access the PC from my laptop through the network it keeps asking me to enter a password.

I never had this problem before. I never had to enter a password before, btu all of a sudden it asks me for one. I have file and printer sharing ON and network passwords OFF but it still asks for one when accessing the PC from my laptop. None of the other PCs/laptops on my network require a password to connect to that PC.

It's driving me nuts!

Does it asks for a user password or homegroup password?

Also, are you using any firewall? Make sure that you have selected the good network profile (you know, where it asks you between home/enterprise or public).

#10 bjoswald

bjoswald

Neowinian Senior

• Phone: HTC Aria

Posted 21 October 2011 - 19:09

Have you tried removing the password and making a new one? It seems obvious but I have to ask. ;)

#11 OP dre2112

dre2112

Neowinian

Posted 21 October 2011 - 22:50

Does it asks for a user password or homegroup password?

Also, are you using any firewall? Make sure that you have selected the good network profile (you know, where it asks you between home/enterprise or public).

It's asking for a "network password"

Firstly, I have this setting disabled. Second, I never even set it up to have a password. I have the firewall disabled but I'll take a look at it again

Have you tried removing the password and making a new one? It seems obvious but I have to ask. ;)

As mentioned above, I never created a password in the first place.

#12 Anthonyd

Anthonyd

Neowinian

Posted 22 October 2011 - 12:49

It's asking for a "network password"

Firstly, I have this setting disabled. Second, I never even set it up to have a password. I have the firewall disabled but I'll take a look at it again

Screenshot plz, sounds like 3rd party software, not Windows who is bugging you.

#13 +BudMan

BudMan

Neowinian Senior

• Tech Issues Solved: 92
  • OS: Win7, Vista, 2k3, 2k8, XP, Linux, FreeBSD, OSX, etc. etc.

Posted 22 October 2011 - 13:10

Its not 3rd party -- this is what your seeing right?

authpassword.jpg

Well then just auth and be done with it! Save your creds.

As already mentioned, easy solution for auth issues is to use the same username and password on both machines. BLANK is not a password btw.

#14 +PeterUK

PeterUK

Neowinian Senior

Posted 22 October 2011 - 13:31

If your PC with the printer is setup correctly to allow everyone then clicking “Use another account” with user name guess without a password should work...it works here.

#15 Anthonyd

Anthonyd

Neowinian

Posted 22 October 2011 - 21:28

The best way is to go on "device and printer" menu, click on your shared printed and click on "impressoin server properties", then "security tab" and allow everybody or just the user you are using on your laptop.