iPhone 4S Battery Life - Users: Any Complaints So Far?

Here's a very interesting thing I found at the official Apple web site. Seems the iPhone 4S has up to 200 hours of stand-by while the iPhone 4 had 300 hours!!!!....LOL...iPhone 4S Lost 100 hours?....Too funny. Check it out yourselves:

http://www.apple.com/iphone/compare-iphones/

2d1rbdz.jpg

Just another ******* who intends on trying at EVERY ****ING turn to try and prove that a droid device is better.

I don't think droids are any better. My HTC Inspire consumes just as much battery life as my iPhone when using the browser, calling and texting. The arguments on the link I posted are really ridiculous.

Just another ******* who intends on trying at EVERY ****ING turn to try and prove that a droid device is better.
Really? Are you sure there pal? Pretty sure Mac Rumors is a pro Apple website.

Really? Are you sure there pal? Pretty sure Mac Rumors is a pro Apple website.

It’s actually a very neutral website. When there’s a bad report about Apple, they don’t hesitate to say it.

So the iPhone 4S is actually a downgrade. Would you rather pay more for a tiny bit better camera and an hour or two less battery life. Or buy the cheaper iPhone 4 that almost preforms the same, looks the same and has more battery life.

So the iPhone 4S is actually a downgrade. Would you rather pay more for a tiny bit better camera and an hour or two less battery life. Or buy the cheaper iPhone 4 that almost preforms the same, looks the same and has more battery life.

- Siri

- Dual Core A5, that's 50% percent faster.

- Camera allows "78%" more light.

The 4s, in terms of features and performance, is an upgrade. Sure you lost some battery life, boo-hoo.

Since when was the iPhone at all, known for it's amazing battery life? Never.

I've owned every single iPhone model so far. I absolutely love the device, I think it's a fantastic phone. But by no means am I an apple addict. I've got an iPad as well, but those are the only 2 apple devices I own, and the only 2 that I intend to at the moment either.

That said, I am rather disappointed with the battery life on this device so far. I can barely get a working day out of the thing - I always have to charge it when I get home, and that's with very minimal usage throughout the day - a few text messages, bit of facebook browsing, and a couple of websites at lunch.

I wouldn't be at all surprised to see a software update some time soon that offers some kind of battery performance fix, or at least I hope so. But it is a shame - battery on this thing brand new doesn't last even half the time that my 4 did.

Well I've been using the iPhone 4S for two weeks now and I've not had any battery issues beyond my first one being DOA, Battery life is easily comparable to the iPhone 4 and the Camera is SO MUCH BETTER that alone makes it worth it for me. And 100 Hours makes no difference as I charge the damn thing everynight when I sleep anyway!

As mobiles get more powerfull, the battery life decreases, isnt rocket science really. What we need next is a big jump in battery technology but at a decent price.

Batteries are one of the worst domains to take action in. A lot of the research is made using random materials, thus producing random, sometimes surprising, results. It’s like developing a vaccine or a cure, you can get it right in a month, or it can take 20 years.

if the talktime is improved isnt its "actual usage" improved?

standbytime is bull**** anyway, yeah i turn all my dataconnections off, brightness down put the phone into flight mode just to make it through my day!

all it says to me is it has more background proccesses that consume the juice. all i care about is it getting me through the day OF ACTUAL USE

standbytime is bull**** anyway, yeah i turn all my dataconnections off, brightness down put the phone into flight mode just to make it through my day!

Are you talking about the 4S ? This is pretty extreme (read unbelievable)… I guessed they attained their 200 hours by doing exactly that.

If I don’t do anything special to my iPhone 3GS, which has a 2-years-old battery now, its battery depletes in about 24 hours. If I put it in flight mode and never open it and turn off WiFi and Bluetooth and shut down every application, then maybe I can go up to 3-4 days.

Are you talking about the 4S ? This is pretty extreme (read unbelievable)… I guessed they attained their 200 hours by doing exactly that.

If I don’t do anything special to my iPhone 3GS, which has a 2-years-old battery now, its battery depletes in about 24 hours. If I put it in flight mode and never open it and turn off WiFi and Bluetooth and shut down every application, then maybe I can go up to 3-4 days.

i think you missed the point, i meant the talk time is increased - so isnt its actual productive use BETTER, not worse?

It last a LOT longer than my old 3Gs so I'm happy

I'm sure it does haha, my 3GS isn't exactly spectacular on battery life, and I'd happily get a 4S as the improved camera is a great plus to me. 5MP was alright, but 8 and the quality of the photos it's pushing out would make it the go to camera for when I don't have my DSLR on me.

Here's what I don't understand.. how can standby battery life go down while talk time battery life goes up? Surely the battery capacity either decreases or increases and affects everything.

Or am I missing something obvious here? :unsure:

I don't think software optimisations would result in an extra hour of talk time over 3G.

I imagine this is due to the A5 processor using a little more juice when idle compared to the A4. I think the battery is already 50% of the phones volume so not really any way they could make it larger without sacrificing components or the physical design of the phone, it's a shame but not really an issue. I mean 200 hours of standby is still 8.3 Days and personally I dock my phone to an electrical outlet every day. I've never been caught out with my 3GS running out of battery on me before I got an iPhone 4S and it's still not an issue.

iOS 5 has some hidden tweaks too (hidden because you have to scroll to the bottom of the <strong>Locations Services</strong> screen and click on System Services to find them).

You can keep Location Based iAds and Setting Time Zone off permanently (your time is set by the local carrier automatically anyway).

iOS 5 Battery Drain Fix

Reset Network Settings: Tap on “Settings” > Reset > Reset Network Settings

Disable Bluetooth: Settings & General > Bluetooth > “OFF”

Disable unwated Notifications & apps:</strong> Settings > Notifications > Turn OFF for anything you don’t need

Disable Location Service:</strong> Settings > Location Services > Disable selectively for services you don’t use

Disable Timezone Adjustment:</strong> Tap on “Settings” > “Location Services” > ‘System Services’ > Setting Time Zone to OFF

Disable Ping:</strong> Settings > General > Restrictions > Enable Restrictions > Ping > OFF

Disable Diagnostic & Usage Reports:</strong> Tap on “Settings” > General > About > Diagnostic & Usage > Don’t Send

It's the price you pay for having everything at your fingertips. I own an SGS2, but principle is relatively the same. Only turn on what you need when you need it. This goes especially for messenger apps and skype as well, as they constantly need to ping every minute or two and using data will drain your battery faster.

I am confused by the trouble that people are having with the battery. I thought it was common practice to use the phone during the day and then charge it at night...I have been doing that for years. With this practice and my habits:

1. Heavy camera usage (20-30 pics a day)

2. BT headset always connected

3. 40-50 calls a day

4. Push email on 3 accounts

5. 60-70 txt messages a day

6. Wifi on connected to various networks (home then office)

I get an entire days battery usage out of it...by then end of my work day I usually have around 40% battery left. I say that's damn good.