[UK] Facebook campaign: 'Nirvana for Christmas No. 1'

Overheard on the radio: As a follow-up to the 'Rage Against The Machine for Christmas #1' FB campaign there's now 'Nirvana for Christmas No. 1'. Its goal is what it says on the tin - get 'Smells Like Teen Spirit' onto the #1 chart spot for Christmas.

As of now there are 40,817 people who clicked the like button. I for one fully endorse this campaign and hope many of you will do the same.

UK Neowinians:

427125059.gif

Errm, I don't really see the point in replacing a one hit wonder with a track that, while good, is one of the most well known and overplayed songs in the history of music.

As someone said during the RATM campaign, it should be Refused's New Noise or nothing. Nice they're giving some money to charity, but 'meh' is what it gets from me.

• Like 1

Errm, I don't really see the point in replacing a one hit wonder with a track that, while good, is one of the most well known and overplayed songs in the history of music. As someone said during the RATM campaign, it should be Refused's New Noise or nothing. Nice they're giving some money to charity, but 'meh' is what it gets from me.

It's certainly better than the X Factor trash alternative.

Meh, "Smells Like Teen Spirit" is an extremely overplayed song, and in my opinion, Nirvana were an overrated band. Yes, they were good, but out of the Big Four of Grunge (the other three being Pearl Jam, Soundgarden, and Alice in Chains), I'd always put them last.

A better choice would have been "Christmas Time (Don't Let the Bells End)" by The Darkness.

Contested the Christmas #1 spot in 2003, but narrowly lost out to a very depressing cover of Tears for Fears' "Mad World".

I reckon justice should be done and The Darkness should get the Christmas #1 that they deserved. Plus, it would be great to actually see a Christmas song have the Christmas #1. (Y) Hasn't happened since 2004, and that was a remake of Band Aid's song.

• 3 weeks later...

Shame it's been done before.

They would have had more success if they chose a song that is really old, a classic everyone will want, a Christmas song. Now THAT may have actually had a chance.