Doom 4 "Indefinitely Postponed" Following RAGE

As for rage, it feels like all that graphical progress id made with doom was lost somewhere in rage, especially with the ammount of low res textures :D And lightning.

This was based on the new mega technology that they developed being negated by the actual medium on which the game had to ship... and run on.

They super compressed the very textures that they flaunted, and in doing so, caused the tearing, streaming mess that they had at launch, and still have in spots. Granted, they had to, but that's what you get when you try and create a 'futuristic' engine to work on the tech of today...

maybe they should have worked with the hardware companies to come up with super cool new tech to run their stuff on... would have saved a ton of trouble.

tldr, id screwed the pooch by inventing tech that was far from fully realizable on standard tech.

Umm last I checked Bethesda was just the publisher and iD is the developer. I'm pretty sure iD could just go to another publisher if Bethesda said no unless they signed some exclusivity agreement with them (which would be bad).

Bethsoft (well, Zenimax, who owns Bethsoft) bought iD.

Sometimes I feel John Carmack has not been as successful in modern era gaming as he was in the classical era.

I won't blame Zenimax for iD's not so great offerings. I mean Quake 4 and Enemy Territory:Quake Wars were mediocre titles at best and lacked the cult following of iD's previous games. On the contrary, Eldder Scroll series, Fallout 3, NV are quality titles from Zenimax's publisher Bethesda.

RAGE was full of massive technical problems just like Fallout New Vegas.... The forum complaints are freaking massive for both titles.... sucks.

Bethsoft has a very amazing creative team.... but thier technical team sucks.

I won't blame Zenimax for iD's not so great offerings. I mean Quake 4 and Enemy Territory:Quake Wars were mediocre titles at best and lacked the cult following of iD's previous games. On the contrary, Eldder Scroll series, Fallout 3, NV are quality titles from Zenimax's publisher Bethesda.

quake 4 and ET i think were released before zenimax acquired id. Besides as far as i am aware zenimax does not control what id does.

qdave, I made the point to show iD's quality of games have long been stale without any generational shift even before they were acquired by Zenimax.

When i first started playing Rage i would have disagreed, however playing through the game it's quite obvious that id have become irrelevent in the current age of gaming, for me rage combined two modern flaws, corridor FPS, no chance at all of exploring and no story/nothing clever. With games such as crysis you could understand the lack of story because the maps were large and you were free to play it how you wanted. I know it'll get a laugh but CoD Black Ops, was a corridor game but it had an interesting story where i wanted to play it through to the end to see where they were going with it, it wasn't gonna win an oscar but it still got my interest. I was gonna say the last good game they made was Quake 4 but then i remembered it was done by Raven.

After completing Rage the old addage of ID is true, the games are basically tech demo's to show off their new engine for potential licencees, which is really disappointing!

Doom was about fear and adreneline, it was about exploring and running around killing things. For Doom4 to get anywhere they need to make it fast paced, this was a selling point of Doom 1 and 2, Doom3 was far to slow. They need to make it pretty scary and the only way to make it scary is to get away from monster closets, Doom3 = run forward + hear creepy sound + monster teleport/closet open behind you, it was tired and predictable and took any element of fear or surprise. With the graphics they are able to do they could make some really nasty look creatures which i think they need to do and get away from this tech demo mentality.