Photo

Best desktop e-mail client for Windows 7?

• Please log in to reply
39 replies to this topic

#16 OP xKratosx

xKratosx

Neowinian

Posted 22 October 2011 - 22:05

Huge thanks for the replies guys, some great suggestions! Like eM client since it syncs contacts and calendar too, and has chat, but the interface of WLM is maybe a little nicer, decisions decisions...!

Outlook 2010 using the Word 2010 rendering engine is a deal breaker for me too, have sent mailouts at work and it's a nightmare!

(edit) Inbox2 seems to be iPad only, unless I'm missing something...?

#17 articuno1au

articuno1au

Neowinian Senior

• Tech Issues Solved: 2

Posted 22 October 2011 - 22:08

The 2010 renderer isn't an issue.

I get thousands of emails in HTML and they all load and look fine. Performance is good as well :)

Outlook is one of Microsoft's "**** all you other guys" products. They know they own this market and they don't plan on letting go >.<

#18 Jan

Jan

It's not a Navy boat, it's a Gravy boat

• Tech Issues Solved: 1
  • Phone: Nexus 5

Posted 22 October 2011 - 22:13

Inbox2 is quite nice.

#19 Amarok

Amarok

One. Three. FiVe.

Posted 22 October 2011 - 22:20

I've been using Postbox the last couple of weeks. It seems pretty nice so far. Before that I was using WLM.

#20 ~Johnny

~Johnny

Earthling

Posted 22 October 2011 - 22:21

(edit) Inbox2 seems to be iPad only, unless I'm missing something...?

They never quite finished the desktop version (I remember using it a few years back...) but here's a link to it - https://github.com/w.../inbox2_desktop

#21 Innuendo

Innuendo

Neowinian

• Tech Issues Solved: 1

Posted 23 October 2011 - 02:26

If you don't mind laying out a little coin, two programs I have found to be highly regarded by some are PocoMail at http://www.pocomail.com and The Bat! at http://www.ritlabs.com.

Outlook is like using a cannon to kill a flea if you don't need its non-email capabilities.

#22 migo

migo

Neowinian Senior

Posted 23 October 2011 - 03:23

They never quite finished the desktop version (I remember using it a few years back...) but here's a link to it - https://github.com/w.../inbox2_desktop

Thanks, gonna try it out. I suppose since the source is there it's possible that someone else could finish it.

#23 OP xKratosx

xKratosx

Neowinian

Posted 23 October 2011 - 10:12

Huge thanks again, not keen on laying out any cash right now when the programs don't seem an awful lot better than the free ones, but thank you :)

Trying inbox2 now, thanks for the download link! It really looks stunning, love it.

(if not, then it's back to eM Client / Windows Live Mail for me!)

#24 OP xKratosx

xKratosx

Neowinian

Posted 23 October 2011 - 10:30

Inbox2 is absolutely useless for my needs unfortunately, if you delete something from there for example, it doesn't instantly push to Gmail's server, or indeed push to their server at all anyway that I could see...

So for example I can delete something from Windows Live Mail, and check eM client and see it dissapear just a couple of seconds later. No such luck in Inbox2... it seems to download all of the messages as if it was like POP only

#25 vanx

vanx

Neowinian

• Tech Issues Solved: 2

Posted 23 October 2011 - 21:15

PostBox Express is the most efficient app I've ever used.

http://www.postbox-i...xpress_features

I am using a trial, but Hotmail folders do not load at all. Any advice? Cheers :)

#26 Sarm

Sarm

Neowinian

• Phone: Nexus 4

Posted 23 October 2011 - 21:29

Outlook 2010 with Gmail Apps (pro version, not the free Gmail) = BEST email solution ever, and I own a fleet of my own servers but still prefer the Gmail system.
It uses MAPI, not IMAP.

For commercial mailings, I do it in HTML and import it into Outlook, thus bypassing WORD rendering, and sending out compatible HTML/CSS emails.

#27 +Ely

Ely

Neowinian Senior

• Phone: HTC M8 & HTC 8X

Posted 23 October 2011 - 21:37

Windows Live Mail is enough for me, stable and with all needed features.

#28 rajputwarrior

rajputwarrior

olé olé olé olé

Posted 23 October 2011 - 21:39

xKratosx just stick with gmail notifier and gmail in a browser. nothing on windows comes close to doing it as well as mail and sparrow on OSX do unfortunately.

#29 :: Lyon ::

:: Lyon ::

Neowinian Senior

Posted 23 October 2011 - 22:47

I've tried Thunderbird, Windows Live Mail, PegasusMail, WIndows Mail - in the end, I prefer Outlook 2010

#30 migo

migo

Neowinian Senior

Posted 25 October 2011 - 04:53

I am using a trial, but Hotmail folders do not load at all. Any advice? Cheers :)

I found they'd only load with the Windows Live Sign in assistant installed. I removed it with Soluto as it was adding 40 seconds to boot time and then found all my hotmail was non-functional. Take a look around and see if it's on your system or perhaps there but disabled from starting?

Inbox2 is absolutely useless for my needs unfortunately, if you delete something from there for example, it doesn't instantly push to Gmail's server, or indeed push to their server at all anyway that I could see...

So for example I can delete something from Windows Live Mail, and check eM client and see it dissapear just a couple of seconds later. No such luck in Inbox2... it seems to download all of the messages as if it was like POP only

I found while the skin of Inbox2 looked quite nice, the actual interface wasn't as useful as PostBox Express, and also the RAM usage was always at least 60MB, with some pretty high CPU usage at times (going up to 50%). An Email program really shouldn't be doing that.