Marco Simoncelli dies from injuries suffered in Malaysian GP crash

Simoncelli dies from injuries suffered in Malaysian GP crash

Marco Simoncelli has died from the injuries he sustained in a crash on the second lap of the Malaysian Grand Prix. He was 24.

Simoncelli was fighting for fourth with Alvaro Bautista when he lost the front of his bike and slid across the circuit, into the path of Colin Edwards and Valentino Rossi, both of whom appeared to hit the Honda.

Simoncelli lay stricken on the track after the crash, his helmet having come off during the incident.

He was taken by ambulance to the circuit's medical centre, but at 4.56 it was announced he had succumbed to his injuries.

Source: Autosport

Requiescat in pace.

the crash was so ugly it was pretty clear that he has died from this :( shocking.

2 motorsport fatalities in 2 weeks... RIP.

Bad luck comes in 3's, I hope we don't see a fatality in the first India F1 next weekend.

Horrible, Rossi was really close and good friends with Simoncelli as well, i can't even imagine what would be going through his and Edwards mind tonight.

Another young Moto rider losing his life after Tomizawa, Tomizawa was a potential 250/Moto2 future champion and Simoncelli was potential future MotoGP World Champion.

Sad day, and to think there is nothing that could have been done to avoid this, this is how bike racing is. Those men have tremendous courage to continue doing this, all respect to them.

Steve Parrish is of the opinion that Valentino will retire because of this. I think he could be right. Colin may well follow suit.

http://news.bbc.co.uk/sport1/hi/motogp/15421404.stm

They should all wear number 58 on their bikes at Valencia in a fortnights time.

RIP Marco

such a shame! Just after getting his best ever MotoGP result too - a 2nd in last weeks race.

In the video above, it looks like he was already unconscious before being hit by Rossi/Edwards, its the way he comes across the screen already hanging off the bike, usually when they lose the rear end, they fall off and the rider and bike slide away separate from each other.

I'm sure we would know if this was the case, but it just looks strange to me the way he comes across the view of the camera.

EDIT:

Never saw your post before I posted:

R.I.P

Isn't his body position a bit odd the way he was leaning before he got git by the two other racers as like he passed out or something?

I agree that it does look strange and I immediately thought the same thing after I saw the video. The news report said he was in cardiac arrest when the medics got to him, perhaps this was what caused him to fall off in the first place.

Either way it certainly was a freak accident and such a shame.

RIP

I see Edwards retiring now as well. God awful accident and I hope they look into it because of his position. Seems something was wrong before the actual collision(s).

I will miss the Side Show Bob show, he brought a lot of character to MotoGP.

R.I.P

Isn't his body position a bit odd the way he was leaning before he got git by the two other racers as like he passed out or something?

In the video above, it looks like he was already unconscious before being hit by Rossi/Edwards, its the way he comes across the screen already hanging off the bike, usually when they lose the rear end, they fall off and the rider and bike slide away separate from each other.

Nothing too unusual about his crash. He lost the front which is called a low side (rider falls from the low side of the bike). which is when around a corner the front wheel loses grip and the bike falls on its side with the rider ending up on the track surface (very common crash in MotoGP now traction control is on all bikes). What happened in this crash was the front regained grip, but due to the angle of the bike and position of the rider, it turned hard towards the inside of the corner back on the racing line.

Some people are asking questions about his helmet as well, nothing wrong there either. The force of the impact ripped the straps off their mounts.

I really did think we were going to see him win a race this year or next year. He was super fast in qualifying and was holding it together better and better in races.

RIP

Sad news, i recorded the MotoGP and then was told during the day he died. I don't think i can watch it, especially as i know the outcome of the crash.

I was putting my money on him being a future MotoGP champion too.

RIP

Nothing too unusual about his crash. He lost the front which is called a low side (rider falls from the low side of the bike). which is when around a corner the front wheel loses grip and the bike falls on its side with the rider ending up on the track surface (very common crash in MotoGP now traction control is on all bikes). What happened in this crash was the front regained grip, but due to the angle of the bike and position of the rider, it turned hard towards the inside of the corner back on the racing line.

Some people are asking questions about his helmet as well, nothing wrong there either. The force of the impact ripped the straps off their mounts.

I really did think we were going to see him win a race this year or next year. He was super fast in qualifying and was holding it together better and better in races.

RIP

Yea you are right mate.

I have only had one motorbike (a 50cc Aprillia RS50) but my Dad has driven motorbikes all his life and I go on the back of his bike most weekend in the summer. I showed him the video and he said the same thing as you, I see it now. It just looked like he was hanging off when I first saw it, but now I see that he was trying to regain control and was forced into the path he took as the front tyre re-gained the grip.

It truly is a tragic loss and I also believed he would win a race very soon and was most likely a future world champion.