Adium 1.5 RC 5

os x adium 10.6 and up beta

• Please log in to reply
47 replies to this topic

#46 what

what

Neowinian Senior

Posted 05 March 2012 - 11:54

Woohoo. On another note, I've been using Adium for years now ... does it seem like development has slowed, compared to what it used to be pumped out at?

Perhaps, but what more do you want them to add?

#47 PyX

PyX

Neowinian Senior

Posted 09 March 2012 - 18:59

Perhaps, but what more do you want them to add?

Oh there are so many things that don’t work well or are not supported in Adium.

For instance : A lot of times, I won’t receive Facebook messages through Jabber. The smileys drop-down menu should be a grid instead, like they proposed a few years back. File transfers in MSN are DOA all the time. Custom smileys in MSN cannot be sent and when received, instead of working as it should, an error picture is shown.

Since the last 5 years that I am on the Mac platform, I cannot say Adium has evolved a lot. Problem is, there’s nothing better on the Mac, really. Messenger, Trillian, iChat, Messages, Skype, Adium, … they all have major problems, either its user base is too small, or they don’t support basic features, or they don’t support our protocol. But I believe Adium is still the best, unfortunately.

#48 Richard C.

Richard C.

Neowinian Senior

• Phone: iPhone 5

Posted 14 March 2012 - 12:29

PyX it's worth noting here that many of the features your on about also apply in third party Windows Clients for MSN.

Yahoo Messenger for MSN doesn't allow custom icons, nudges, video chat, or offline messaging, and file sending is at best guess work
Trillian doesn't allow custom icons or video chat at all, and file sending fails unless the other person is also using it.
Gaim has the same problems Yahoo Messenger has
I could go on. The reason for this is that the last public messenger api MS released was the one used in Windows Messenger 4.7 (the one that came with XP) meaning that today NONE of its features work apart from basic messaging.

Click here to login or here to register to remove this ad, it's free!