Today marks the 10th anniversary of the general availability of Windows XP.

Yes I know, there has been a similar topic two months ago...

Ten years ago today Windows XP became available to the general public. In 'internet years' that's aeons ago.

Question to those running XP back when it became publicly available: What specs were you running it on? For me it was

• AMD Athlon 1.33 GHz on Asus A7V133 (VIA chipset)
  • 512 MB RAM
  • 60 GB HDD (IBM DeskStar)
  • Geforce 2 GTS with 32 MB VRAM
  • 19" Sony CRT

If you are still running XP: What prevents you from updating from an OS which by now is old enough to be in 4th grade?

Hmmm...

I guess it was my AMD Athlon 1100 with 256MB RAM, 40GB HDD (Western Digital I believe), GeForce MX 400 32MB VRAM (damn it had a good long lifespan! :D) + TVR card.

Added a 15" NEC flat screen later on.

Good times...

No active use, but it's nice to have in case of legacy games and stuff. :)

I will horde some extra copies for no money (MSNDAA) soon, to be on the safe side. :)

Glassed Silver:mac

I remember hating XP for so long. I preferred Windows 2000 by a long shot so I was very happy to ditch it when it was replaced. But there were some fond memories of it after the SP2 days.

I will have to get back to the thread on the spec issue. I am certain it was an AMD Athlon, but I'm not sure how the rest of the specs played out.

Insane how much RAM and HDDs have grown since those days though. ~ 1GB of RAM was decent in those days and now 24GB seems like peanuts...

Happy anniversary Windows XP! I was running nothing too special 10 years ago :$

Ten years ago, wow.

I think it was a Celeron 700MHz, 128MB RAM, 20GB drive and a Geforce 2 graphics card. I remember dual booting it with Windows 2000, 98 and XP :|

And even today I'm still using it, but in a dual boot with Ubuntu so i can still play games (which i rarely do).

Ten years ago today Windows XP became available to the general public. In 'internet years' that's aeons ago.

If you are still running XP: What prevents you from updating from an OS which by now is old enough to be in 4th grade ?

Same reason you don't dump your wife of 10 years. :laugh:

I have XP broken in.

Absolutely the best, most customizable and amazing OS ever. Windows XP will always have a very special place for me. Too bad it had to be strangled by MS. It was like the Firefox of operating systems - everything totally tweakable out of the box and even more tweakable by addon apps.

I got with a Hewlett Packard.

1.5ghz Pentium 4

512mb RAM

60 Gb Hdd

Geforce 2 , tho later got a Geforce 4 Ti

Xp was nice but Win7 is the way forward, no way in heck Id go back or still be running xp. People need to stop clinging to a bastion of computing thats now to old to support itself.

I recall having a SoundBlaster Audigy card when Win XP came out, and Creative were REALLY crap with their driver releases for XP. In my mind, that started the beginning of Creative's downfall...

We still use XP at work.

HP machine

2GHz Pentium 4

2GB RAM

40GB HDD

17" Monitor

To say I waste a fair amount of time waiting for my PC would be an understatement. :p