New ubuntu icon theme screenshots leaked

I like most of them; not sure on the home icon. The current icon set in 11.10 still looks good.

I wonder how long ago these shots were taken though as that is clearly 10.04 - suppose they could be using it for the LTS.

Even if the monkey dresses in silk, it is still a monkey...

I don't know what you're complaining about. No they're not as good as Windows or OS X icons, but Ubuntu is steadily improving their UI. Ubuntu used to absolutely disgust me with it's crap brown and then bright orange colour themes and icons back in 4.10 - 8.04 days (estimating). I dare you to go look up screenshoots of old Ubuntu. They're that bad.

Up until recently I still hated the orange look, but with the past two releases it's decent. They're definitely constantly improving the theme.

EDIT: I went ahead and googled 4.10. Enjoy: http://upload.wikime...10-20080706.png

I guess copying the Menu Bar, Menu Extras, Dock, borderless window design, Finder appearance, iOS-like scroll bars and whatnot from Mac OS X just wasn't enough. Now they're going after the icon theme as well. Nice.

Only now I noticed how they basically copied the entire Finder window design. Unbelievable. :/

I don't know what you're complaining about. No they're not as good as Windows or OS X icons, but Ubuntu is steadily improving their UI. Ubuntu used to absolutely disgust me with it's crap brown and then bright orange colour themes and icons back in 4.10 - 8.04 days (estimating). I dare you to go look up screenshoots of old Ubuntu. They're that bad.

Up until recently I still hated the orange look, but with the past two releases it's decent. They're definitely constantly improving the theme.

Why not just rip all of Mac OS X' icon files from the system folder and be done with it?

I like the folder icons though, but the rest are just Mac OS X clones. Nothing original about them. Gotta love how the guys at Canonical are recreating the entire Finder layout as well. And then of course Apple is the bad guy once they finally undertake legal action by the time the competition copied just about everything there is to copy.

notsureifserious.png

Just to clear up some things:

1. the "Brazilian Ubuntu forum" mentioned in the WebUpd8 blog is actually a Portuguese-speaking Ubuntu forum/community
  2. The company that made this set is Yellow Icon
  3. Yellow Icon's art director (or something like that) is Everaldo Coelho
  4. Everaldo Coelho worked on the Mac OS X and Windows XP icon set and a clusterfunk of several free/open source projects.
  5. If anything, the Mac OS X and Windows XP sets' inspiration came from his previous work around free/open source projects.
  6. If anything, this set is a saner spin from his Crystal set.

mindblown.tiff

If anything, the Mac OS X and Windows XP sets inspiration came from his previous work around free/open source projects.

Oh please, Canonical is completely going after the entire Mac OS X unified window design. At this point the only thing that's fundamentally different are the colors. Next to that before 2001 there wasn't anything like the Mac OS X Aqua icon set. All operating systems used cartoonish icons, Mac OS X was the first to introduce true photorealistic artwork. There's no denying it.

I can't even call it "Aqua inspired" anymore. It's a blatant rip-off.

I made a nice comparison for you:

post-128385-0-35869800-1319987578_thumb.

• Like 2

Oh please, Canonical is completely going after the entire Mac OS X unified window design. Next to that before 2001 there wasn't anything like the Mac OS X Aqua icon set. There's no denying it.
You're acting like Apple designed and worked around this, when in fact it's the people that made this for Apple did it. And they're now working for Canonical. And the creative rights (if any!) remain with them.

And the creative rights (if any!) remain with them.

Except that's not how things work at all. You can bet that every single piece of artwork created for Apple on Apple's campus is owned by them. Not the person who ended up creating it. So if it's indeed true that some of the designers who worked for Apple are now working for another company doesn't mean they have the right to recreate the Aqua interface for them as well, simply because they don't have the ownership.

It's the same story with me: I create news items, however those news items are the intellectual property of the television network I work for. They're not mine. If I were to resell the video clips the company could sue me. It's very common practice really.

You're acting like Apple designed and worked around this, when in fact it's the people that made this for Apple did it. And they're now working for Canonical. And the creative rights (if any!) remain with them.

I'm pretty sure if a person or group work for a company and then leave, the creative rights stay with the company they designed it for.

Except that's not how things work. You can bet that every single piece of artwork created for Apple on Apple's campus is owned by them. Not the person who ended up creating it.
You're wrong. The artwork made for Mac OS X wasn't made in campus, and even if it was the creative rights remain with the authors.
I'm pretty sure if a person or group work for a company and then leave, the creative rights stay with the company they designed it for.
The creative rights remain with the artists. And Apple was just another client, like Microsoft, Canonical, Disney...

Pretty nice, though some of the icons are oversharpened and pixelated on the edges, and the trashbin could use some reworking on the center area of the mesh (it seems to warp and disappear towards the end). That's just me being anal about the details, but all in all it looks nice.

Everaldo Coelho is currently working as a senior designer at Apple right now and has been for a while. He doesn't work at Yellow Icon anymore.
I am aware of that, and he still has the right over his (previous) work.

You're wrong. The artwork made for Mac OS X wasn't made in campus, and even if it was the creative rights remain with the authors.The creative rights remain with the artists. And Apple was just another client, like Microsoft, Canonical, Disney...

Regardless of where it's made the ownership doesn't lie with the designers. It becomes the intellectual property of Apple. The people who designed Aqua can't sell those ideas to others simply because the patents of many interface elements are on Apple's name.

I am aware of that, and he still has the right over his (previous) work.

His previous work yes, but that isn't what we're discussing. Everything he makes for Apple and is paid for by the company is owned by them. He doesn't have the rights to resell it to third-parties. Like I said this is extremely common practice, especially when working for large corporations. These things are part of the contract you sign.

If you actually think that designs made for whatever company are the ownership of the person who designed it you're extremely naive. Imagine if that were the case: If I designed a next-generation car paid for by Audi, I could go to Toyota afterwards and sell them the blueprints. Of course not.

His previous work yes, but that isn't what we're discussing. Everything he makes for Apple and is paid for by the company is owned by them.
He/his team made it, and licensed it for Apple. Apple doesn't own a damned thing. Again, the artists have rights over their work. When Microsoft jumped on Lindows they made it mostly over the name, because the artwork was worked by the same team that worked/was consulted for Windows XP.

My wife is a designer. They are mercenaries with rights. (Y)

You're wrong. The artwork made for Mac OS X wasn't made in campus, and even if it was the creative rights remain with the authors.The creative rights remain with the artists. And Apple was just another client, like Microsoft, Canonical, Disney...

I work for a large multinational corporation (Sharp, you migth've heard of it) and my contract dictates that anything I create while employed there belongs to the employer. Before that I worked for Lexus and before that, Wrigley. I had the same clause in all jobs. I can't believe that Apple, especially Apple, wouldn't have a similar clause.

• Like 2

He/his team made it, and licensed it for Apple. Apple doesn't own a damned thing. Again, the artists have rights over their work. When Microsoft jumped on Lindows they made it mostly over the name, because the artwork was worked by the same team that worked/was consulted for Windows XP.

My wife is a designer. They are mercenaries with rights. (Y)

You must have missed the part where Apple owns tons of patents describing all kinds of interface elements. Instead of arguing with us you can check them out yourself.

I work for a large multinational corporation (Sharp, you migth've heard of it) and my contract dictates that anything I create while employed there belongs to the employer. Before that I worked for Lexus and before that, Wrigley. I had the same clause in all jobs. I can't believe that Apple, especially Apple, wouldn't have a similar clause.

Exactly.

You must have missed the part where Apple owns tons of patents describing all kinds of interface elements.
An artwork is not patentable. Unique, inventive (assuming a sane system, which never is) relations with elements are patentable. You can't design a folder and try to patent it. No inventive step there, for example.
Again, this was not made working for Apple. Apple was another client, and clients usually don't dictate the terms (subjective). My wife's contracts never had such clauses. But we're not American, nor live there.

Here's our legislation.

An artwork is not patentable. Unique, inventive (assuming a sane system, which never is) relations with elements are patentable. You can't design a folder and try to patent it. No inventive step there.

I'm not talking about folder design.

The nautilus 'screenshot' is a mockup obviously made for presentation purposes, I'd just like to point that out. Other than that, I think the icons stand on their own.