Headphones - Volume = Impedance or ?

Ok so without getting to crazy with formulas and electrical/audio engineer speak. When using headphones (earphones) on say iPods or mobile phones which spec makes the sound coming out of the speakers louder at X volume setting on same device.

What I mean is - if there are 2 headphones that are basically identical being powered by the same device, if you changed a specific spec to make it loader at same volume (max) which spec would that be?

I've been reading for the past 2-3hrs and I just keep getting more confused. I see Impedance which someone explained as a boat going thru waves - 8ft wave is easier than 16/32ft wave. That makes sense in that the resistance is less with 8ohm devices or is that "bigger" than 16ohm (say like -95dBm is better than -102dBm)?

Then I see sensitivity and all the other options. I started reading it then my eyes basically glassed over and Ioss focus of where I was even reading. I would imagine this is how some of my female friends feel when I start talking about Megabytes and Gigabytes and Mhz and Ghz. LOL

So confused. :unsure: Halp!

NOTE - I'm not even talking about sound quality or frequency response or which sounds "better" just what change would involve a noticeable change in volume (good or bad, meaning even if it causes noise to go up as well).