Laptop/Tablet Suggestions

Hello,

So, I'm in the market for a new laptop or a tablet.

Budget: $500-$1000

Here is what I need it for:

1. Writing papers and college work.

2. Daily jobs like site checking and email checking.

3. Watching HD tv show and movies.

4. Light photography editing.

5. Networking.

6. Remote computer checking and accessing.

7. Light gaming. Basically like anything that has a mac version is what I'll be playing.

8. Nothing else I can think off.

Bring on the suggestions!

Thanks,

Crazysah

I am looking at the Lenovo Thinkpad Tablet just because of the writing feature on it and because it has a ton of preloaded office apps on it for free (which can be like 20 -40 bucks on others).. that is if you are looking for a full on tablet.. other then that I would not suggest a hybrid tablet right now with windows 7 on it just because windows 8 is so close ..

ASUS K53, comes with a 15.6" screen, typically Intel Core i3 to i7, 4GB DDR3 memory, and an NVIDIA GT 520 or GT 540 GPU, which is OK for light gaming. it's also in your price range, and it's built like a tank.

http://www.newegg.co...N82E16834230074

EDIT: this variant actually has 6GB memory, but it's not that easy to get, shop around, you'll find one for around $700 with 4GB.

ASUS K53, comes with a 15.6" screen, typically Intel Core i3 to i7, 4GB DDR3 memory, and an NVIDIA GT 520 or GT 540 GPU, which is OK for light gaming. it's also in your price range, and it's built like a tank.

http://www.newegg.co...N82E16834230074

EDIT: this variant actually has 6GB memory, but it's not that easy to get, shop around, you'll find one for around $700 with 4GB.

Is it actually that good? Also, is it better to just wait till Black Friday now?

Don't buy a tablet "just because", figure out why you would want one for. Does anything you want to do benefit from a touch layer or stylus? If the answer is no, don't buy a tablet. Those cost a huge premium.

If you do want a tablet, next question is what you'll use it for:

If you only want media consumption and limited office capabilities, any cheap consumer slate will do.

If you only want that but also a keyboard, get the Asus Transformer (or just get a keyboard accessory for any other one)

If you want more than basic productivity, or you want to play PC games, or you want a proper stylus (e.g. for digital art), here are your (current generation) choices:

1. Lenovo X220t - don't buy. the series used to be pretty good but this year's has a lot of design flaws and manufacturing problems.

2. HP EliteBook 2760p - worth considering. essentially the same as the 2740p and is a minor upgrade to the innards. favourable reviews.

3. Fujitsu T901 - worth considering. larger screen than others but also heavier. top of the line, relatively minor update to last year's model with new innards and a couple of refinements. build quality might be slightly worse than before, though it shouldn't be a significant issue.

4. Fujitsu T731 - smaller/cheaper member of the Fujitsu lineup, I haven't heard much about it because the T901 takes most of the spotlight.

Prices for these will range from high $1000s to low $2000s for these new machines. You can get older models for significantly cheaper second hand.

Thinkpad is still the best in my opinion. I'm not sure if tablet would do the job for stuff like light gaming though. Look into a Lenovo T420 or T520. :)

Thinkpad is still the best in my opinion. I'm not sure if tablet would do the job for stuff like light gaming though. Look into a Lenovo T420 or T520. :)

Why would you say the T520? What's good about it?

Any other suggestions?

Why would you say the T520? What's good about it?

Any other suggestions?

To answer that question I'll chip in -

Other than speakers, there is nothing wrong with any T-series ThinkPad - they're awesome - my T400 is my 4th ThinkPad & I see no reason to leave.

Honestly, on a small screen, your not going to know the difference between 720p and 1080p. Unless you want to do some intense gaming, tyhena tablet fits what you need. If anything, wait until the Asus Transformer Prime comes out and get it with the keyboard attachment. It will have the same specs as a laptop pretty much.

Will the ASUS Transformer Prime run like a laptop? Can I do most things I do on a laptop on the Transformer Prime?

Also how is the new Dell XPS 14z? Any good? Worth it?

Will the ASUS Transformer Prime run like a laptop? Can I do most things I do on a laptop on the Transformer Prime?

Also how is the new Dell XPS 14z? Any good? Worth it?

yea, probably, but you won't be able to run windows programs (obviously)