10 Things Windows Phone 8 needs!

My top 10 things Windows Phone 8 needs!

1. 300 PPI and Gorilla screen

2. Dual-Core processing and 1GB Ram

3. 4G/LTE

4. SLR Camera plus 1080p video recording

5. Siri like voice interaction

6. Minimum 32GB storage

7. Better IE9 browser standard aka more like Chrome or Firefox rendering on desktop

8. Fix copy/paste (Does not work all the time)

9. Better Zune software

10. Better looking phones.

Hardly down to the phone OS is it.

Again not down the the OS. And who says the OS needs that?

3. 4G/LTE

Again not down to the OS.

SLR camera? And how is this down to the OS?

Microsoft TellMe

6. Minimum 32GB storage

7. Better IE9 browser standard aka more like Chrome or Firefox rendering on desktop

WTF? Do you even know what you are saying? IE on WP7 IS the same as IE on the desktop. Why would you want it like Chrome or FF?

Really? Seen no issues.

9. Better Zune software

On the phone or desktop? I can't argue this one.

Talk to manufacturers not about the OS. Personally they look fine to me!

Sorry, your post is stupid!

• Like 8

3. 4G/LTE

Microsoft TellMe

6. Minimum 32GB storage

WTF? Do you even know what you are saying? IE on WP7 IS the same as IE on the desktop. Why would you want it like Chrome or FF?

Really? Seen no issues.

9. Better Zune software

(Y)

So is yours. Nowhere in the original post does it say ANYTHING about wanting to change the OS specifically. He simply points out that the next generation Windows Phone, whether related to hardware OR OS, should feature these things.

Learn to read.

When I was talking about Windows Phone 8. I was talking about the hardware of new phones and the OS.

iPhone 4 has it above 300 PPI and WP should have it.

It's become the standard for other OS makers like Android and iPhone. For game and future feature that will need the dual core. Stupid to even say that.

3. 4G/LTE

Mango support LTE so that's not an issue there.

SLR camera would make it a top listed phone that most people that are into taking pictures would get over any other phones.

Microsoft TellMe

Microsoft TellMe is very minimum support and does not work in with other app.

6. Minimum 32GB storage

LOL, IE9 in WP renders different from the desktop version. I'm a web designer and I have to work use special coding just for IE9 on WP.

Really? Seen no issues.

Half of the time it does not work in IE9.

9. Better Zune software

Was talking about the desktop. Zune on WP is really good and don't know how to change it.

Microsoft can easily design a hardware phone and make that the standard of how a WP should look like. LG, HTC, Samsung and Nokia can't make a good looking phone.

I'm sorry but having a low standard in a phone is not my style. I use and own a HTC HD7.

iPhone 4 has it above 300 PPI and WP should have it.

WP is a platform, not a hardware spec. You have no idea what you are bleating about

It's become the standard for other OS makers like Android and iPhone. For game and future feature that will need the dual core. Stupid to even say that.

Not at all. The demands of the OS are what dictate the specs.

3. 4G/LTE

Mango support LTE so that's not an issue there.

SLR camera would make it a top listed phone that most people that are into taking pictures would get over any other phones.

Get real. SLR on a phone? Sort it out!

Microsoft TellMe

Microsoft TellMe is very minimum support and does not work in with other app.

WTF? It's still in development!!!

6. Minimum 32GB storage

LOL, IE9 in WP renders different from the desktop version. I'm a web designer and I have to work use special coding just for IE9 on WP.

You are coding poorly then! It renders MOST things just fine. Remember, a mobile experience SHOULD vary from the desktop

Really? Seen no issues.

Half of the time it does not work in IE9.

Not seen any examples of this

9. Better Zune software

Was talking about the desktop. Zune on WP is really good and don't know how to change it.

Microsoft can easily design a hardware phone and make that the standard of how a WP should look like. LG, HTC, Samsung and Nokia can't make a good looking phone.

You're talking crap mate, they all look just fine. Same as most androids. iPhone stands out in design, can't argue that! Plus, Microsoft make the OS, not the hardware. Their major partner here is Nokia, who have just released a very design-concious phone!

I'm sorry but having a low standard in a phone is not my style. I use and own a HTC HD7.

Well, you bought a first-gen WP7 phone, what do you expect?

Not at all. The demands of the OS are what dictate the specs.

You are coding poorly then! It renders MOST things just fine. Remember, a mobile experience SHOULD vary from the desktop

Despite you coming from Leicester I have to say mmmm no.

The spec of the OS dictates WP phones, i.e. the hardware is dictated by Microsoft and until they allow dual core you won't see it in WP even if it does need/would be nice to have it.

If you code your site well then it should not matter what device you are on and the mobile experience can be the same as desktop, just look at the bbc - their desktop site looks fine on my phone.

even if it does need/would be nice to have it.

It doesn't feel like it currently needs it to me, it feels totally smooth without the need for beefier processors YET.

If you code your site well then it should not matter what device you are on and the mobile experience can be the same as desktop, just look at the bbc - their desktop site looks fine on my phone.
On a technical level, yes I 100% agree. I have coded a massive eCommerce site and yes it works PERFECTLY on mobile devices. But my argument is that a mobile EXPERIENCE should be tailored towards mobiles - show different, mobile-friendly layout - much more usable. This is why (using your example) BBC have their own mobile version with a more minimal interface presenting data more suited to mobile use.

The spec of the OS dictates WP phones, i.e. the hardware is dictated by Microsoft and until they allow dual core you won't see it in WP even if it does need/would be nice to have it.

I've seen minimum specs, but not seen any info regarding not allowing Dual-Core CPU's, so, put some basis for that one. So far from what I see its the manufacturers just not putting the Dual Core CPU's in

Keyword is IF.

Why exactly does Windows Phone 7 need dual core? I don't get it. No need for it on something that works fine without it.

Exactly

Got a omnia 7, loving it.

Only thing that annoys me is the 8 GB of space on it, that is non-expandable, but ah well. I can live with that.

Yeah. We'll be seeing bigger WP7's in the future. It's clear why MSFT doesn't allow it, and sure, it's a pity... but its good for the platform as a whole.

I've seen minimum specs, but not seen any info regarding not allowing Dual-Core CPU's, so, put some basis for that one. So far from what I see its the manufacturers just not putting the Dual Core CPU's in

Read it on here somewhere with the review for one of the HTC phones, stand corrected if not right.

Why exactly does Windows Phone 7 need dual core? I don't get it. No need for it on something that works fine without it.

It's a bit like your legs, you could get around with one but two are always better :) In all seriousness you may not need a dual core now but what about 12 months from now when COD is released for WP or GTA5 or anything else. To limit yourself to saying you will never need it seems bizarre because you don't know what devs are working on, hey they may be developing a new photo app that would tax even a dual core. I see somebody above commented that it was tough they got a first gen WP phone, well it would be nice to have a phone that still feels workable after 18 months and I suspect by that time there will be lots of apps that would benefit from a dual core.

It's a bit like your legs, you could get around with one but two are always better :) In all seriousness you may not need a dual core now but what about 12 months from now when COD is released for WP or GTA5 or anything else. To limit yourself to saying you will never need it seems bizarre because you don't know what devs are working on, hey they may be developing a new photo app that would tax even a dual core. I see somebody above commented that it was tough they got a first gen WP phone, well it would be nice to have a phone that still feels workable after 18 months and I suspect by that time there will be lots of apps that would benefit from a dual core.

Right and wrong. Currently WP7 would not really benefit at all, raising the specs is great, but if the OS and apps aren't optimised to use them, then they are pointless. But yes, there will come a time when they will be of use.

You're just trying to justify the fact that you were being an ass and couldn't read

Not even remotely. The original post IMO was titled Windows Phone 8 - it IS an OS, it does not dictate what glass manufacturers use, etc.

The general public refers to all manufactured Windows Phone 7's as just that.

Nope. From my experience they talk about their HD7, Omnia, etc.

Learn, to read

I can, just fine thank you!

• Like 1

I have to agree that the OS just doesn't need a dual core processor... Would I like more storage? Sure. But I say we hold off on dual core until we either need it or at least the technology has gotten to the point where it won't adversely affect battery life much...

I'm not really sure what you're talking about with IE at all, as it seems to render everything perfectly fine for me and my sites haven't required that I make any WP7 specific changes to them... I've run into some other quirks, such as the disappearing keyboard or lack of reaction when typing on the numberpad, but that's about it.

Not even remotely. The original post IMO was titled Windows Phone 8 - it IS an OS, it does not dictate what glass manufacturers use, etc.

And he went on to mention hardware right off the bat, which obviously means he's referring to the phone as a whole. A fact you deliberately ignored.

Nope. From my experience they talk about their HD7, Omnia, etc.

I said general public, not technology buffs such as those found around here or other tech related sites.

I can, just fine thank you!

Yes, cause up to this point you've continued to push that WP7 is an OS even after the OP stated he was referring to the entire device, not just the OS. But, you can read so I guess it's a moot point. :p

Yes, cause up to this point you've continued to push that WP7 is an OS even after the OP stated he was referring to the entire device, not just the OS. But, you can read so I guess it's a moot point. :p

Which means this can be put towards ANY device and not just WP devices.

And he went on to mention hardware right off the bat, which obviously means he's referring to the phone as a whole. A fact you deliberately ignored.

It "means" to me that he is misguided and comparing WP7 (an OS) to iPhone (a complete OS (iOS) and hardware platform). Please don't assume you can tell me what I deliberately do or do not do.

I said general public, not technology buffs such as those found around here or other tech related sites.

I read what you said and responded in kind. I am referring to the people I know down the pub, etc. They reference the brand of the phone.

Yes, cause up to this point you've continued to push that WP7 is an OS even after the OP stated he was referring to the entire device, not just the OS.
Exactly my point. The OP needs to go and learn the difference between the OS and what manufacturers release. Specifically because he later claims that MS could put out hardware of their own.

I just want one thing from Windows phone...repeat freaking notifications (for txt msgs)! EVERY smartphone OS needs this, or at least the option. Repeat notifications is where if you get a text, it will keep notifying you until you acknowledge it. I can't use WP7 because if I get paged (text msg to my phone), I won't get woken up when I'm sleeping.

Needs Less Metro! I would use WP7/WP8 if it had a desktop style interface like Android (or even iOS). Or if the metro was only like.. for a menu system not as the phones entirety. Like if you could W8 style it (Metro if you want it, Desktop if you don't) that would be awesome in my books.

Needs Less Metro! I would use WP7/WP8 if it had a desktop style interface like Android (or even iOS). Or if the metro was only like.. for a menu system not as the phones entirety. Like if you could W8 style it (Metro if you want it, Desktop if you don't) that would be awesome in my books.

That's one of the reasons why I prefer the new interface myself; the wall-of-icons thing is just so old. BlackBerry, iOS, Android.. they all remind me of PalmOS when I see them, a last century interface with a new coat of paint. The new Metro interface is a refreshing change of pace.. seriously tempted to switch once my contract's up in a few months. Not that I dislike my Android (not perfect but not bad), but these new WP7.5 phones are looking pretty good.

• Like 1