Help! I need a program on the remote control for free

Question

5 answers to this question

Uh, what? You want a free RDP program?

You could use Logmein or TeamViewer. Those appear to be popular choices.

Edit: Or, if you're using Windows you could just use the built-in RDP program. But I don't think anyone suggests that.

If windows machines, and the flavor supports RDP then sure I would always use that first.

Or remote assistance works fine too if you wanting to show a user how to do something and on the same lan.

Why its prob not suggested as much, is quite often users are looking for something to remote a machine over wan vs lan. And rdp over wan takes config on the router, etc. While tools like teamviewer or logmein are easier for the end user to run and then IT person to connect too.

Comes down to what your wanting to do. I would never in a million years suggest either of those for remote control of your servers in a lan setup for example. This is where RDP shines. I use it daily to be sure.

Really need some more details from the OP of what they want to remote control, etc. Any of the VNC flavors are a good free choice as well -- depending the circumstances of the OP needs. VNC again is great for lan or control over a vpn, etc. But not good for end users that don't know how to forward ports on their router or configure their firewall, etc.