Samsung Galaxy S2, Android 4.0 - "January 2012"

Here's what's going around the rumor mill these days. Sounds plausible however.

post-698-0-61293700-1319721391.jpg

Google’s latest upcoming Android OS Ice Cream Sandwich (ICS) may be available for the Samsung Galaxy S2 in January 2012, hinted from twitter.

Gaurav Hasabnis, an industry analyst and contributing editor of Fonearena.com posted on Twitter: “Something gonna come in Jan 2012. #sgs2 users gonna rejoice!”, followed by a second tweet: “Soon Mali400 gonna be in full use.”

The mentioned Mali 400 is the name of the GPU on the Samsung Galaxy S II. Rumors states Ice Cream Sandwich will utilize the the full potential of high-end smartphones better than previous Android OS, which leads us to believe that the ICS will be making its way to the Galaxy S2.

Source: http://samsunggalaxy...te-in-jan-2012/

Could just be reaching for straws but eitherway, can't wait!! :woot:

If Samsung were pushing for a Jan release then chances are Samfirmware will have their hands on a build by Dec. Here's hoping!

Also, anyone else stoked to see just how much faster this device can be!? :woot:

How many cores in a SGS2? and is it really using them fully with its current OS version?

It's Cortex A9 dual core with ARM mali 400 gpu. And it's not currently used at it's full potential, no.

It's Cortex A9 dual core with ARM mali 400 gpu. And it's not currently used at it's full potential, no.

Although not in full use Samsung did do work on their end to enable HW acceleration in certain apps like the launcher and browser. If it's any indication of how ICS will perform then it'll be a very welcome update.

Here's what's going around the rumor mill these days. Sounds plausible however.

post-698-0-61293700-1319721391.jpg

Source: http://samsunggalaxy...te-in-jan-2012/

Could just be reaching for straws but eitherway, can't wait!! :woot:

See...No mention of the Galaxy S at all getting it. They are not going to upgrade it to Android 4.0. This is what I been saying. HTC, Samsung put out phones and leave them hanging on old Android versions. They don't update them. They expect you to buy a new phone if you want the latest and greatest and that sucks.

I agree with you, but in actuality with the Nexus not getting it i'd doubt the SGS was gonna get it. Even though it only came out last year it still has crappy specs and even less RAM than the Nexus One. Sure it had 512MB of RAM but only 384MB of that was user available. The GPU took the rest so i'd expect it to run even more crappy when compared. It has a 1Ghz CPU but with no RAM that's like a Core i7 4Ghz with 512MB of RAM running Windows 7 x64 and complaining it's not so fast. It would be a terrible experience. The SGS devices were known to be "laggy" even with Gingerbread till a few kernel tweaks came out, they just didn't have enough RAM to begin with.

This is a rumor however so not mentioning the SGS is not something i'd take as a fact that it wont get ICS.

See...No mention of the Galaxy S at all getting it. They are not going to upgrade it to Android 4.0. This is what I been saying. HTC, Samsung put out phones and leave them hanging on old Android versions. They don't update them. They expect you to buy a new phone if you want the latest and greatest and that sucks.

@Digitalx & Hollow.Droid, thanks for your answers :)

No different from how a certain fruit based company works, although they do support their older versions for longer in this instance.

Its a shame but there is always custom roms.

The joys of android, just because you can't officially get it doesn't mean it won't happen if you root it and go down that path it's free to obtain so long as developers making it. This is why android is good because once official or carrier support is gone there's the community that lasts for quite some time which you can see with nexus one, HTC desire etc. They don't put them out or leave them hanging they just put them out and hopefully plan they'll be compatible for the foreseeable future. In march 2010 samsung didn't know anything solid about ICS so how can they make a device ready for it. This is how new technology works and most people rotate to new phone every 12-24 months so supporting them anymore beyond on that doesn't really make sense.

Basically same story always with android, you'll get a major update and one to two minor updates during life of your device on official standings. Other then that there's an entire other world of community development going on which can always delve into if you wish for extended support/updates.

And for that matter all android device makers do it.

An official update eh? I wonder if CyanogenMod will get there first ;)

That's not even a question in my book. Source will drop 2-3 weeks after the Galaxy Nexus comes out (Nov 10th i keep seeing) so we'll have it for christmas.