Apple iPhone 4S Problems: Short battery life & other issues

xl_iPhone_4S_launches_Siri.jpg

The Apple iPhone 4S is a great phone but it hasn't been without its problems. From concerning security issues to shoddy battery life, we round up the problems users have experienced with Apple's latest handset

The iPhone 4S has been marred with problems and security issues since it launched earlier this month and, although it’s a great phone, as we mention in our Apple iPhone 4S review, flaws in the device and its iOS 5 operating system are still being found.

Which is why we’ve pulled together a list of the problems you will or would have experienced with the new iPhone, including OS and security flaws, so you know exactly what you’re getting – that is until Apple decides to fix the software glitches, most probably in the form of a software update.

Siri security flaw

Apple’s virtual assistant Siri was supposed change the way we use our mobile phones. Instead of typing and trawling the net to find information for ourselves, Siri aimed to cut all that out by doing the heavy lifting for us. But a few flaws in the make up of the software have caused major concern among the media and customers alike.

Siri has been the subject of several reports concerning a worrying security flaw. At the press of the Home button, a person is able to send texts, emails, make calls and request calendar information without having to unlock the homescreen using a passcode.

That, of course, could prove very costly indeed if someone gets their mitts on your handset.

But the setting isn't a permanent one - users have the option of switching it off by disabling the option to enable Siri at passcode lock - however, Alan Goode, managing director of mobile security firm Goode Intelligence, argues that because this setting was set at default without users' acknowledgement, many iPhone 4S owners would have been unaware of the potential risks they were exposing themselves to.

He said: “We feel that this option should have been the default option that Apple should have configured on all devices and then let the user decide whether they want to take the risk of someone accessing text, call and appointment services without entering the correct passcode.”

Source and more: http://www.t3.com/fe...erning-issues-1

Edited by SHoTTa35
Edited full copy/paste, see source for more.

Maybe they should implement a more advanced setting such as only allowing Siri to do certain things while the device is locked (such as searching the web, setting the alarm/timer, or calendar?). This way you can block your address book if you are really worried about it. Back in the old days, no one complained about phones not having passwords, sigh

I have an iPhone 4S and even with all the default notification and siri stuff (once enabled) is on, I am certain the battery life is better than my old 3GS, though it may be a bit worse than the first iPhone 4 model. As you add more and more programs that use notifications, that may change, but I only had a dozen or so.

Disable notifications on apps you don't want/need notifications from and it will help a lot. Also, restrict the GPS usage to certain apps. For example, I set a "remind me X when I get to work" reminder with Siri, and in order for it to do this it has to use the GPS a lot so it can monitor WHEN you get to work. This is not a very good way to moderate battery useage. So just use some smarts and you'll be fine. :)

I thought Neowin was being more selective on news articles. With an arguably flawed Android and iPhone update history graph shown as front page, surely an interesting article such as the one linked in this thread, mentioning flaws in a popular handset device should also be a front news item.

Siri security flaw: At least they acknowledge this is by design and can be turned off.

Siri cannot connect to network: Beta service, suffered due to demand around launch.

iOS 500 error 3200: Was down to demand on launch day. Non issue now.

Battery life: Comes around every iPhone launch, battery needs a few cycles before reaching true potential.

Yellowgate: Not actually seen any real evidence of this, perhaps in "several" users (out of millions?).

Mute button: Not a problem with the phone though is it!

Siri security flaw

Apple’s virtual assistant Siri was supposed change the way we use our mobile phones. Instead of typing and trawling the net to find information for ourselves, Siri aimed to cut all that out by doing the heavy lifting for us. But a few flaws in the make up of the software have caused major concern among the media and customers alike.

Siri has been the subject of several reports concerning a worrying security flaw. At the press of the Home button, a person is able to send texts, emails, make calls and request calendar information without having to unlock the homescreen using a passcode.

That, of course, could prove very costly indeed if someone gets their mitts on your handset.

How can it be a flaw when its setting that turns it on or off??? It might be bad judgement to not have it enabled by default, but its not a flaw.