I'm After an Android soon....

Sometimes you can change modes depending on the phone and the manufacturer's software, but mounting as a standard USB drive is always an option.

not on my tablet it's not...

Yeah, sorry, I didn't mean being a GED would make it faster or anything, I just meant that I'd gladly take the advantage of having a GED over the slight difference that the CPU/GPU would make. I honestly think the CPU/GPU of the two devices are quite comparable, and since the Nexus will be easily unlockable/rootable, I plan on overclocking the CPU anyway which will make it an even closer match (until the GSII is rooted and overclocked of course). Either way I think the GSII is also an amazing phone, but I just think the benefits of a GED outweigh the pros of the GSII.

They probably will be very similar. The SGX540 is so old though, I was really disappointed to see it in the Nexus. Especially on the first release of Android that's entirely hardware accelerated. It's the same GPU that was in the original Galaxy S, though I'm sure they've made it at least somewhat faster now. You can definitely OC if you want though, and all it will come down to is that they are both very fast phones.

I'm a CM7 guy, so GED isn't as big a deal for me. I get most of my updates before most GED phones, and have a lot more optimizations and tweaks than plain AOSP.

not on my tablet it's not...

Weird. You looked in the settings and didn't find a place to change it to USB storage? If that's the case, the manufacturer specifically disabled it, which sucks. Android has always had the ability to mount as basic USB storage. All the Samsung phones definitely can.

Don't ever buy HTC! They suck! I have HTC and I hate it! They don't even update their phones and buyers keep complaining about their products. If you want an Android phone, get Samsung or Motorola. I would buy a Motorola phone actually since Google has bought it. I'm sure their new phones will get the updates on time.

Don't ever buy HTC! They suck! I have HTC and I hate it! They don't even update their phones and buyers keep complaining about their products. If you want an Android phone, get Samsung or Motorola. I would buy a Motorola phone actually since Google has bought it. I'm sure their new phones will get the updates on time.

Seriously, don't post if you don't know anything about updates. Do you really think it is HTC's fault for not keeping their phones updated? Have you ever thought it could be the carriers fault too? Did you ever even think there is a marketing strategy behind it? Well, clearly you weren't thinking when you posted this...This just doesn't apply to HTC, but it bites Samsung, LG, and every other Android manufacturer. That and there is always xda-dev. God bless HTC for actually not locking their bootloader (they listen to their customers), and screw Motorola/carriers for doing that.

The HTC Desire shipped with Android 2.1, it got an update to 2.2 last summer and then 2.3 earlier this year... yup HTC never bothered to update it at all did they?

The HTC Desire shipped with Android 2.1, it got an update to 2.2 last summer and then 2.3 earlier this year... yup HTC never bothered to update it at all did they?

Just like my Droid Incredible. Shipped with 2.1 (Eclair), got updated to 2.2 (Froyo), then 2.3 (Gingerbread). Thank you HTC and Verizon! None of it matters to me though, I have rooted it and installed CM7.

The Nexus appears to have a downgrade in specs in certain places compared to the Galaxy S2, but that's on paper.. I would wait until it's out, play with both phones and see which you prefer. The Galaxy S2 is likely to get Ice Cream Sandwich early 2012 so don't let that be the deciding factor.

Also, with regards to NFC, SIM cards have been developed that are NFC-capable, so it's possible that we'll be able to get NFC on phones that don't have a chip built into the device itself. As far as I know they're not for sale yet, but will be at some point.

Finally, I can sort of understand you not wanting to get the same phone as everybody else, but try and get over that mentality. In a few month's time you're going to want to be using the best phone to suit your needs. The novelty of owning a phone that nobody else has will soon wear off and you'll just want something that works.

Tl;dr: play with a few devices and see which one your prefer!