What Is A Great Starter?

Morning all,

As a bit of backstory (skip to the next paragraph for the question), I moved to a new town recently. Already I've met a few people around, and a group of them are getting together for a Christmas party that they've invited me to. Apparently it's nothing fancy, but the idea is that everyone shows up with a bottle of wine and their favourite starter. The wine isn't a problem, but I don't have much of an idea about what to do for a starter.

So here is the question: What is a good starter to make? Since everyone is showing up with their starter, I imagine that it would make more sense to go for "finger food" rather than a plated course. There will also be quite a few of us (probably 10 - 15 people) so it needs to be something that can be repeated with a fair amount of ease. Finally, I don't have a fancy kitchen - I only just moved in to my new place - so if it requires me to have a special gizmo (e.g. a fat frier) then I probably won't bother trying it.

Ideas would be greatly appreciated. It doesn't need to be your favourite starter, just something that you think is great to munch on at a party. Also, if the recipe is online or easily accessible that would be a major help.

If they asked you to bring your favorite starter why not just do that? What is your favorite?

That's the point. I've not really been a fan of starter courses (I normally let people order their starters and I just go for the main course), so I don't have a favourite, nor do I have much knowledge on the subject.

Fresh bread, a few dips, preferably bread from a bakery.

Can't beat it, especially with balsamic vinegar.

Try google?

I tried Google. Oddly enough, when you type in something along the lines of "best starter" you get presented with lots of threads of people asking what the best starting creature is to choose in pokemon/digimon/WoW...just game questions in general really. When I try to narrow down the search options to food, I get presented with lots of food websites, but they offer lists of choices that don't necessarily have anything to do with starters.

To the others, platters could be a good idea, although I need to try and find a selection of things to put on it. I don't want to buy one of those premade platters, I want it to be a starter that I've made myself.