Photo

Windows 8: cmd or Powershell?

• Please log in to reply
47 replies to this topic

Poll: cmd vs Powershell

This is a public poll. Other members will be able to see which options you chose

Which would you like to see in Windows 8?

You cannot see the results of the poll until you have voted. Please login and cast your vote to see the results of this poll.
Vote Guests cannot vote

#46 PGHammer

PGHammer

Neowinian Senior

• Tech Issues Solved: 1

Posted 24 October 2012 - 23:19

Thank you for remembering my Hamilton C shell.

But a correction, if I may: Hamilton C shell is not a port of anything. I wrote every line from scratch myself for this product and first released it in December 1988, about 7 months before Brian Fox released his bash shell. It's much, much faster than bash on Windows for several reasons. First, I have a better compiler front end; it's faster at parsing statements and generating an optimized internal representation. Second, it's still the only multi-threaded Unix-style shell in existence. Third, it's written explicitly for Windows. It goes straight to the underlying Win32 API for everything. I don't even use the C runtime anywhere performance counts. I definitely don't use a big slow DLL like Cygwin uses to try to map Unix system calls onto Windows.

Also, news for those who might have been interested but were concerned about cost: For personal use, it's now just $89 and that covers all your personal devices. There's also a fully functional free demo version.

I would wager that the big reason that folks liked Cygwin was due to the backing of it by RedHat, Inc. (RHI).

However, you're right, Cygwin is huge and horribly unwieldy.

The Hamilton C Shell and other command shells, such as 4NT and TakeCommand, (and PowerShell, of course) are far from unwieldy.

I first read about the Hamilton C Shell back in the early days of NT, and I was referring specifically to your NT port of the Shell.

#47 reaper1576

reaper1576

Neowinian

• Phone: Nokia Lumia 920

Posted 27 October 2012 - 17:50

I'm to used to DOS but I do need to learn how to use PowerShell. Anyone got any good links to stuff for learning PowerShell?

#48 PGHammer

PGHammer

Neowinian Senior

• Tech Issues Solved: 1

Posted 30 October 2012 - 12:14

I'm to used to DOS but I do need to learn how to use PowerShell. Anyone got any good links to stuff for learning PowerShell?

There are several Microsoft Press books on using PowerShell - the biggest criticism I have for *all* of them is that they are designed for server admins. (There is not a single PowerShell book for desktop admins, or even desktop usage - despite PowerShell itself having been included with desktop Windows since XP Service Pack 3, and addable to desktop Windows since XP Service Pack 2. What little I know about using PowerShell - which is very little - comes from Windows Server 2008R2/2012.)

For that matter, I'd like to be able to add a separate PowerShell prompt (ala Server 2012) to the QuickTask power users' menu, instead of having to right-click on a contextual menu in Explorer.