Best Video Card Setup for Monitor

Getting me a Dell UltraSharp U2711, and i want to game on it, just wondering what video cards i need. ATM im using a 8800GT, and want to upgrade. Thinking cause of the RES of 2560x1440 ill need a crossfire setup?

Yeah, you could probably benefit from a multiple card configuration.

Grab a hold of a GTX 570 right now and see if it runs well for the games you want. If it doesn't, get a second :p

I am very curious. How is HDMI going to give a better picture than say DVI-D or DisplayPort?

I have the exact same monitor, and a 9600GSO (around the power level of an 8800GTS). It is more than enough. The only thing high-resolution monitors need is DVI-D. I can also then switch inputs to XBox via VGA and laptop via HDMI.

Now, if you are gaming, then that is a different question. This card can only do Source games medium-high with a similarly aged processor. To play brand new games (such as BF3), one needs a 3GB video card to handle that resolution.

PS - SLI or CrossFire isn't necessary. Only for extra juice on games. But once again, for raw performance tied exclusively to resolution, go for V-RAM first and foremost.

Unless you are in rush, I would wait a couple of month.

Latest rumours I read were that new ATI series are coming before the end of your. That should be best single card I would recon.

Besides that go with GTX580 which is best ATM. And then if you feel the need get a second one for SLI.