Good multi-protocol IM client

Question

I currently use Pidgin, but I'm growing really tired of how buggy it is. At the current moment, I'm irritated that message formatting doesn't work at all how expected, but there's also the thing about how its nearly impossible to create a conference room with it, and various other things.

I know I can easily google and find a list of alternative programs, but wanted to know if anyone had recommendations? I used to use Trillian, but the free version was too limited for me. I like a client that is relatively customizable, but I would also like something that is reliable. I mainly use AIM, MSN, Gchat, and sometimes IRC, so actual application quality is more important then having every exotic protocol under the sun.

Thanks in advance for any help.

13 answers to this question

I recommend trying out Trillian again

they changed quite a bit with version 5 and it's a lot better than astra or previous versions were

I recommend trying out Trillian again

they changed quite a bit with version 5 and it's a lot better than astra or previous versions were

yeah, i like the new version so much i bought the pro version 2 weeks before they made it free :-P regularly updated, and skype integration with version 5.1

The problem with Digsby is: Its development is dead. Tagged.com bought Digsby in April; ever since the have only been very minor bug fix releases. Going through the Digsby Support Forums you see a lot of complaints about the lack of any development, the lack of any news from the developers' side, glaring bugs in the MSN protocol etc.

I would advise against using Digsby. Have a close look at Trillian 5.1 instead, it could be what you want.

I would recommend the latest trillian, one of the best IM multiprotocol that I have used in my life. I was using pidgin because ICQ support is non existant for some reason, then I switched to trillian but... the ICQ still didn't work, it seems that for the client AOL has put some sort of protection that blocks me no matter what I try, even the official ICQ program, I can only access to it with ICQ for android... still, I stayed on trillian for its great interface.

Probably not what you want, because of the lack of customizability, but i love www.imo.im

I'm using that to create my own Chrome start setup. Literally pops up and I've got Mibbit, Imo, Tweetdeck, Gmail and such as pinned tabs along with my previously opened ages. Works a treat :D

for windows? not really, trillian, pidgin, and digsby are the three main ones for windows

there's also, imo.im and meebo.com two browser based multi-protocol clients but i'm not sure if you want to go that way

edit: there's also Miranda-IM but you don't hear much of that one any more

I only use browser clients when I'm on someone else's computer. Otherwise, I can't stand them. I'm using Trillian right now, and it's definitely much nicer and full-featured then when I used it a few years ago (and my computer is also no longer a crap heap that takes half a minute to load it). This'll probably be it. Thanks again to everyone.

Alright, so far liking Trillian, but one thing is bugging me: I can't figure out how to format just a section of my message (eg: "no, it's your fault"). Any attempt to do so ends up formatting the entire thing (eg: "no, it's your fault"). What am I missing? Thanks for any help.