Migrating Data from Ubuntu to Windows Server

What I read is DAYS ;)

Took three days on Ubuntu, I suppose I should expect the same from this. At least I can copy data to it while it's doing it's initial Sync. Ubuntu wouldn't allow me to even format the Partition before Syncing was complete.

Moved to Windows Server

Bit late boss :D

Bit late boss :D

Hehe, saw it on my phone but we don't have those options to move stuff anymore. So had to wait till I actually got back to the PC to do the move :D

Hehe, saw it on my phone but we don't have those options to move stuff anymore. So had to wait till I actually got back to the PC to do the move :D

LogMeIn :D Thats how I ended up managing my old forum. :p

Okay, so it's finished Syncing, can somebody let me know how I can test the performance of the RAID Array? Max Write Speed, Max Read Speed etc, seek times aren't that important on this drive as it's mainly large files. Also, can AFP Be setup on a Win2K8R2 Server?

Thanks, will give that a try.

Found an AFP Program, the Company already has a Licence for it, score (borrowed as it's no longer in use).

This is a complete Success, and it's deffo running faster than Ubuntu

Microsoft really makes a good os. Many give it a bad wrap because of all the viruses andit isn't free. It is very powerful and has a ton of support. If you get away from ms is evil and windows is crap and be open minded about it, it may just surprise you.

Microsoft really makes a good os. Many give it a bad wrap because of all the viruses andit isn't free. It is very powerful and has a ton of support. If you get away from ms is evil and windows is crap and be open minded about it, it may just surprise you.

Well I'm pleasantly surprised at this. Seams a very good Server OS for what I need it for. I've just gotta figure out how to read this Performance Monitor graph now, I'm assuming it's in Bytes/sec instead of Megabytes/sec. Any way to change that? And any CMD Scripts I can run to generate a massive file so I can see the max write speed?

What is running faster? Its a server -- so your saying it is serving up your files faster to your clients?

Im curious when you had linux on it using software raid, did you have the same setup where your OS ran off 1 drive and the 3 were your raid? Or did you have the OS running off a 4 disk array?

Not sure who ever said windows was a bad product?? Its a great server OS, just not well suited for homes because of the cost!!!

What is running faster? Its a server -- so your saying it is serving up your files faster to your clients?

Im curious when you had linux on it using software raid, did you have the same setup where your OS ran off 1 drive and the 3 were your raid? Or did you have the OS running off a 4 disk array?

Not sure who ever said windows was a bad product?? Its a great server OS, just not well suited for homes because of the cost!!!

Not Quite,

Both Setups are identical, 1 x 250GB SATA HDD in Optical Drive slot on top of server case (OS Drive), 4 x 2TB SATA HDDs in Main HDD Bay Area. See Screenshot on Previous Page.

Both Linux/Windows would boot off of the 250GB Drive and the Storage Array would be completely Separate.

And by Faster, yes, I'm getting better transfer rates, Just managed to move some documents off of my MacBook over Ethernet from it's SSD Drive and got around 130MB/s transfer rate, Linux was maxing out at around 60MB/s.

Java Applications like Minecraft Server and PS3 Media Server are running better also. Maybe it's Placebo, we'll see.

You might want to check your math there???

130MB/s ???

Even if you were getting full 1000mbps over your gig connection that math does not work out -- which your not, you never see the actual wire speed. if you were seeing low 900's that would be rocking. So unless you are running a lagged connection of 2 gig interfaces, how exactly are you seeing 130MBps over the wire?? You might want to recheck your math ;)

Many people complain about windows many die hard nix guys do anyway. Well and apple fanboys too. Tunks is a nix admin and knows little about windows.

Regardless, download a ms service pack and do a copy or make an iso from a windows cd and run your copy tests.

You might want to check your math there???

130MB/s ???

Even if you were getting full 1000mbps over your gig connection that math does not work out -- which your not, you never see the actual wire speed. if you were seeing low 900's that would be rocking. So unless you are running a lagged connection of 2 gig interfaces, how exactly are you seeing 130MBps over the wire?? You might want to recheck your math ;)

Not my math, iStat Menus. Maybe it's somehow using the WiFi and Ethernet? Was using a File Sync tool at the time, maybe that was smart enough to do this?

Either way my other Machines appear to be getting a solid 80MB/s on regular large file transfers over Eth.

I suppose the best way to actually test theoretical max performance would be to create a 1GB RAMDisk, shove a file in it then run multiple batch files to copy it from said RAMDisk back to the RAID over and over and monitor the output.

80 now that is realistic!! Yeah I see that over gig easy.

Why would you be connected over wifi and ethernet at the same time?? But no thats not it! Sync tool? Did you have some software on the server end that allowed it to do some kind of optimization of the transfer?? If not again I have to think no.

I would say math issue with whatever was reporting it.

Now is that 80 pulling or pushing to the array -- not too shabby if your seeing that with parity overhead on the write to the array, that little hp microserver does not have all that much cpu.. So yeah not too shabby! Reading from the array sure I would expect very good results, but writing parity should cause a hit with software. So 80 would be very impressive for such lowend hardware.

Why would you be connected over wifi and ethernet at the same time?? But no thats not it! Sync tool? Did you have some software on the server end that allowed it to do some kind of optimization of the transfer?? If not again I have to think no.

Ethernet Cable was just plugged in for the test, didn't bother shutting off WiFi. And no support software was running on the Server, so 130MB/s must be correct. Surprised I didn't pick up on that straight away thinking about it now. Lack of Sleep?

I would say math issue with whatever was reporting it.

Agreed, only appears to be getting this wrong on my MacBook, not sure why.

Now is that 80 pulling or pushing to the array -- not too shabby if your seeing that with parity overhead on the write to the array, that little hp microserver does not have all that much cpu.. So yeah not too shabby! Reading from the array sure I would expect very good results, but writing parity should cause a hit with software. So 80 would be very impressive for such lowend hardware.

Thats a file from an SSD in an iMac to the Server, so, Pushing to the Array. And I agree, I'm impressed also. Will test Read Speeds shortly.

So where are you seeing these speeds?? If you had something reporting 130MBps -- I would not trust it for any reporting of any speeds.

So a simple timed test with a LARGE file is always for sure correct ;)

So where are you seeing these speeds?? If you had something reporting 130MBps -- I would not trust it for any reporting of any speeds.

It's an Application for OS X that sits in your Status Bar and reports various Stats, (CPU Usage, Temps, Network Activity), and for some reason on this MacBook it's reporting different values to what the Other Macs are reporting. Probably an issue with Lion... the other Macs are running Snow Leopard.

I would not trust any of those tools to be honest.. Do a simple timed test, call up a clock and copy over say a 700MB+ file and then do the simple math ;)

Dude, it's faster than a Firewire 800 Drive, that's all I care about :).

Now I'll start reading up on what to do when I buy some bigger disks next year.

Dude your the one that brought up 130MBps ;) And just dawned on me is your also saying that's write speed to the array.. Yeah I don't think so..

So vs trusting something that clearly is not correct -- do a simple timed test, take you what all of 20 seconds to copy over a 1GB file if your only seeing 50MBps