Migrating Data from Ubuntu to Windows Server

• Please log in to reply
46 replies to this topic

#16 OP CPressland

CPressland

www.absolute.com

• Tech Issues Solved: 3

Posted 02 November 2011 - 16:11

Well I'll be a <insert some profanity here>, Nice one Budman, that does look like an all-round very good solution.

Fine, I'm going to take a 'noob' stance here, obviously Software RAID is dependant on the OS remaining Stable and Intact. What other advantages would I see from the Hardware RAID?

#17 +BudMan

BudMan

Neowinian Senior

• Tech Issues Solved: 106
  • OS: Win7, Vista, 2k3, 2k8, XP, Linux, FreeBSD, OSX, etc. etc.

Posted 02 November 2011 - 16:20

"What other advantages would I see from the Hardware RAID? "

Well biggest would be PERFORMANCE!!! The raid controller will do all the RAID magic, ie creating the parity, etc. Your Computer no longer as to do this extra work so performance is better! Most cards will also have onboard cache and battery backup - this makes for better performance with the cache, along with less likely hood of data corruption/loss on sudden loss of power.

Hardware is ALWAYS better! Well depending on your budget and what exactly you using it for, don't get me wrong software can be a perfect fit. And works great most of the time!!

Off the top rebuild is normally easier with hardware controller - plug in new drive and auto rebuilds, etc. Completely transparent to the OS accessing the data, etc.

#18 sc302

sc302

Neowinian Senior

• Tech Issues Solved: 35

Posted 02 November 2011 - 16:25

speed, although may not be a factor now, the os needs to control and monitor it. where the hardware is the one that controls and monitors the raid set.

hardware raid is independant of software.

#19 OP CPressland

CPressland

www.absolute.com

Posted 02 November 2011 - 16:55

Well, as usual, you've both given me a lot to think about. I think Long Term I will get a RAID Controller for this Server, but right now it's just not in the budget. so Win2K8R2 SoftRAID it is for now!

#20 +BudMan

BudMan

Neowinian Senior

Posted 02 November 2011 - 20:19

You do understand unlike with linux software raid, in windows software raid 5 your not going to be able to install the OS to the raid array.

And everything I read about its raid 5 performance is pretty much horrific, so yeah performance could be a major factor??

From my understanding you want raid 5 yes?? If not your server has support for 0 and or 1 with its onboard raid controller already.

#21 neoraptor

neoraptor

Neowinian

Posted 02 November 2011 - 21:56

i would spend my cash on raid controller instead of ms server

#22 cybertimber2008

cybertimber2008

Neowinian Senior

Posted 02 November 2011 - 21:59

Yea wouldn't he get all the benifits with one purchase (RAID controller) vs 2 (Server + RAID controller)?
His RAID array becomes independent of any Ubuntu updates.

#23 OP CPressland

CPressland

www.absolute.com

Posted 03 November 2011 - 09:02

You do understand unlike with linux software raid, in windows software raid 5 your not going to be able to install the OS to the raid array.

And everything I read about its raid 5 performance is pretty much horrific, so yeah performance could be a major factor??

From my understanding you want raid 5 yes?? If not your server has support for 0 and or 1 with its onboard raid controller already.

Yes, RAID0 or RAID1 aren't really all that much help to me, the OS is installed on a separate Hard Drive in the CD-ROM bay area of the Server Case. RAID 5 does feel slower under Windows Server, but then it's still Resynching so it might be a while before the array is ready to rock.

Had a spare licence in the Office from an old Domain Controller, just used that.

Yea wouldn't he get all the benifits with one purchase (RAID controller) vs 2 (Server + RAID controller)?
His RAID array becomes independent of any Ubuntu updates.

Well a Hardware RAID controller will be my next spend. But I'll likely build a new server when it comes to that with even larger hard drives, but this'll do for now.

Attached Images

• ServerRAID.png

#24 OP CPressland

CPressland

www.absolute.com

Posted 03 November 2011 - 09:42

I wonder how long this Sync is going to take....

#25 +BudMan

BudMan

Neowinian Senior

Posted 03 November 2011 - 13:14

What I read is DAYS ;)

#26 Roger H.

Roger H.

Neowinian Senior

• Tech Issues Solved: 22
  • Phone: Nexus 5

Posted 03 November 2011 - 13:18

Moved to Windows Server

#27 OP CPressland

CPressland

www.absolute.com

Posted 03 November 2011 - 14:09

What I read is DAYS ;)

Took three days on Ubuntu, I suppose I should expect the same from this. At least I can copy data to it while it's doing it's initial Sync. Ubuntu wouldn't allow me to even format the Partition before Syncing was complete.

Moved to Windows Server

Bit late boss :D

#28 Roger H.

Roger H.

Neowinian Senior

• Tech Issues Solved: 22
  • Phone: Nexus 5

Posted 03 November 2011 - 14:15

Bit late boss :D

Hehe, saw it on my phone but we don't have those options to move stuff anymore. So had to wait till I actually got back to the PC to do the move :D

#29 OP CPressland

CPressland

www.absolute.com

Posted 03 November 2011 - 16:38

Hehe, saw it on my phone but we don't have those options to move stuff anymore. So had to wait till I actually got back to the PC to do the move :D

LogMeIn :D Thats how I ended up managing my old forum. :p

#30 OP CPressland

CPressland

www.absolute.com

Posted 04 November 2011 - 11:01

Okay, so it's finished Syncing, can somebody let me know how I can test the performance of the RAID Array? Max Write Speed, Max Read Speed etc, seek times aren't that important on this drive as it's mainly large files. Also, can AFP Be setup on a Win2K8R2 Server?