VLC Player Stutters, WMP Is Fine?

Question

Hello!

I am using the latest (as of 01.11.2011) VLC Player and when playing some 1080p movies, it seems to stutter through some scenes. The picture freezes or becomes blocky, but the sound does carry on.

Playing the same video in WMP doesn't have this effect, the video plays perfect. I should add, I haven't changed any settings in WMP from the default installation.

Does anyone else have this issue?

Is it time to go back to WMP?

Hello!

I am using the latest (as of 01.11.2011) VLC Player and when playing some 1080p movies, it seems to stutter through some scenes. The picture freezes or becomes blocky, but the sound does carry on.

Playing the same video in WMP doesn't have this effect, the video plays perfect. I should add, I haven't changed any settings in WMP from the default installation.

Does anyone else have this issue?

Is it time to go back to WMP?

Yes, and I would bet money on you owning an nVidia video card.

To fix this issue, go into the nVidia Control panel --> Manage 3D settings and change the Power Management Mode from 'Adaptive' to 'Prefer Maximum Performance'.

Guaranteed fix for your VLC stutter issue.

Alternatively, update your nVidia driver to the latest version on their site, which fixes this bug. (285.62)

VLC is simply not a good player. The in-built codecs are inefficient, the renderer is messed up and there's no hardware acceleration. It is very much a walled garden too dependent on its internal tech, much of which is obsolete. It is convenient but in terms of performance and quality leaves much to be desired. WMP can however make use of external filters, codecs and renderers. The current king of the hill is MPC-HC with DXVA. DXVA (DirectX Video Acceleration) makes a huge difference between stuttery playback and smooth with no dropped frames on older, underpowered machines with high-def video. For the best image quality, nothing beats MPC-HC paired up with MadVR renderer. Do note that MadVR requires a fairly powerful GPU.