Sign in to follow this  
Followers 0

ubuntu Indicator Applet ported to GNOME 3

6 posts in this topic

Posted

Indicator applet ported to GNOME 3, can already be used in Ubuntu 11.10

What this means is that you can basically use Ubuntu's indicator applets in a GNOME 3 Fallback session (which has the appearance similar to Gnome 2), thus getting the "classic" Ubuntu look and feel while using GNOME 3 underneath. Global menu optional (since it's posted on the screenshot). If you like Ubuntu, but hate Unity and Gnome Shell, this is good news.

classic-desktop-indicators.png

Posted

Is that a picture of GNOME 3 Fallback session That is cool.

Posted

Makes the fallback session look much nicer (by default tray icons are too big).

BTW I've noticed a lot of people don't realize this about the gnome-fallback panels: They can be customized just as they could in gnome 2, but to get to the customize menu option you need to alt + right click on the panel.

Posted

Might have a look at that on my arch gnome3 fallback drive later.

Can't understand how anyone could like the 'normal' gnome3, it's hideous, annoying, slow and just plain stupid.

I hope the fallback mode never gets removed, or even better, gets made the default.

Posted

Might have a look at that on my arch gnome3 fallback drive later.

Can't understand how anyone could like the 'normal' gnome3, it's hideous, annoying, slow and just plain stupid.

I hope the fallback mode never gets removed, or even better, gets made the default.

Personally I like gnome-shell a lot, and I certainly wouldn't call it ugly or slow.

Posted

Personally I like gnome-shell a lot, and I certainly wouldn't call it ugly or slow.

I've been trying it the last couple of days. I don't like it much but it can be made to look beautiful and it is not slow. It uses less RAM than KDE 4.7 in my usage.