Indicator Applet ported to GNOME 3

Indicator applet ported to GNOME 3, can already be used in Ubuntu 11.10

What this means is that you can basically use Ubuntu's indicator applets in a GNOME 3 Fallback session (which has the appearance similar to Gnome 2), thus getting the "classic" Ubuntu look and feel while using GNOME 3 underneath. Global menu optional (since it's posted on the screenshot). If you like Ubuntu, but hate Unity and Gnome Shell, this is good news.

classic-desktop-indicators.png

Makes the fallback session look much nicer (by default tray icons are too big).

BTW I've noticed a lot of people don't realize this about the gnome-fallback panels: They can be customized just as they could in gnome 2, but to get to the customize menu option you need to alt + right click on the panel.

Might have a look at that on my arch gnome3 fallback drive later.

Can't understand how anyone could like the 'normal' gnome3, it's hideous, annoying, slow and just plain stupid.

I hope the fallback mode never gets removed, or even better, gets made the default.

Might have a look at that on my arch gnome3 fallback drive later.

Can't understand how anyone could like the 'normal' gnome3, it's hideous, annoying, slow and just plain stupid.

I hope the fallback mode never gets removed, or even better, gets made the default.

Personally I like gnome-shell a lot, and I certainly wouldn't call it ugly or slow.

Personally I like gnome-shell a lot, and I certainly wouldn't call it ugly or slow.

I've been trying it the last couple of days. I don't like it much but it can be made to look beautiful and it is not slow. It uses less RAM than KDE 4.7 in my usage.