How do you know if you can have ice cream sandwich?

I am kind of new to android and I know there are so many versions of it but how does one know if your phone will be compatible with the newest upgrade? I have an HTC Thunderbolt currently.

Well to put it better, if your phone came with Android 2.3.x (Gingerbread) you'll end up getting Android 4.0 (ICS). Older phones can run 4.0 too but it's a matter if the manufacturer will release compatable update for said older phones.

I doubt ThunderBolt will be upgraded to ICS.

Highly unlikely

Well to put it better, if your phone came with Android 2.3.x (Gingerbread) you'll end up getting Android 4.0 (ICS). Older phones can run 4.0 too but it's a matter if the manufacturer will release compatable update for said older phones.

Maybe not.

Original Galaxy S?

Root and put it on there and see how well it does :p

A lot of manufacturers are already saying they will not include "older phones" Motorola said they are not going to put it on the Droid 3 (even though it is only a few weeks older than the Bionic)

Maybe not.

Original Galaxy S?

original Galaxy S came with Android 2.2 and was upgraded to 2.3. It's one of those devices that falls in that other category i described. It probably could run 4.0 just fine but (official) ROM upgrades for it are probably not forthcoming.

wait a minute... I am new to android thing. I recently got samsung galaxy S2.

Can I upgrade its software to a newer android release??

Ice cream sandwich seems awesome but I never tought I'd be able to upgrade my phone OS....?

Ice cream sandwich seems awesome but I never tought I'd be able to upgrade my phone OS....?

Yes you can.

Probably early 2012

Yes, ICS will run on the S2

This is pure speculation and it entirely depends on the manufacturer and carrier. In general, most phones get at least one update, but that doesn't always hold true. Whoever started the "all GB phones will get ICS" rumor misinterpreted what was said. There's definitely no guarantee of it.

original Galaxy S came with Android 2.2 and was upgraded to 2.3. It's one of those devices that falls in that other category i described. It probably could run 4.0 just fine but (official) ROM upgrades for it are probably not forthcoming.

Actually, it came with 2.1 if you can believe that. It took forever to get AT&T to push a Froyo update too. I would see no issue in the SGS family of phones running ICS though. They have the same GPU as the Galaxy Nexus, and hardware acceleration is the biggest thing that will need "newer" hardware. Now, the chances of an SGS phone getting ICS are very slim. They've already gotten Froyo and Gingerbread (some of them at least, haha), and Samsung has already moved on with several newer phones since then, so you can probably bet on the SGS sticking with Gingerbread. Cyanogen Mod will get ICS on SGS though.

So, to answer the original question, there's no way to know if you will get ICS. You just have to wait and see. If your phone is less than a year old, there's a good chance though.

I now have the MIUI 2.3.7 rom on my samsung galaxy s and it runs the best from all the roms i tried so far, so i guess 4.0 should not be a problem.

No need for official roms then.

In general any phone that runs Gingerbread decently will be able to run Ice Cream Sandwich just fine. Which is about every slightly recent non-budget Android phone.

Anything with a 1Ghz processor should be safe.

If your manufacturer doesn't release the update you can be sure someone on XDA will get it fixed.

I think a law should be created that allows people to try before they buy, especially fruits.

My ASDA (Walmart) packs nearly all fruit in plastic containers or bags.

Grapes especially are not loose.

They have a policy that if you don't like something you purchase they give you back double what you paid for it.

Really though it would be better to try before you buy.

I think a law should be created that allows people to try before they buy, especially fruits.

My ASDA (Walmart) packs nearly all fruit in plastic containers or bags.

Grapes especially are not loose.

They have a policy that if you don't like something you purchase they give you back double what you paid for it.

Really though it would be better to try before you buy.

What is this... I don't even...

On topic: I'm pretty much just waiting for CyanogenMod to release an ICS version. I highly doubt there will be an official release for my phone (HTC Incredible)

Brilliant. I'll just call it Android 4.0. These food version numbers are getting confusing. :p

If I have gingerbread, can I have ice cream sandwich?

Brilliant. I'll just call it Android 4.0. These food version numbers are getting confusing. :p

1.5 Cupcake

1.6 Doughnut

2.0 Eclair

2.1 Eclair (came out very quickly after 2.0)

2.2 Froyo

2.3 Gingerbread

3.0 Honeycomb

4.0 Ice Cream Sandwhich

They are alphabetic, and coordinate with a major release.