iMac 'Grasshopper/Cricket' Noise/Chirp.

Hi All

I am absolutely baffled by this, but thought I'd post to see if anyone else has had the same issue, so here goes.

My girlfriend brought an iMac from the local Apple store about 2 months ago. Everything has been running smoothly, it was pre-installed with Snow Leopard and she updated to Lion with the free update she got with purchase.

On Saturday, System Update popped up and she installed all the updates, the iMac restarted and gave an god awful 'beep' and booted up. Once booted up it started giving off this horrible noise, which can only be described as what sounds like a Grasshopper/Cricket chirp.

It's a constant noise and is coming from the lower left quadrant of the screen.

I have googled searched about and find similar issues which talk about 'brightness', 'fan control' and hard drives, but nothing has a fix.

Everything works fine, however the noise is unbearable.

I am going to call AppleCare tomorrow to see what they say, but it's doing my head in!

Any help/suggestions is much appreciated!

One of the speakers sits in the left lower quadrant of the screen, perhaps its negative audio feedback?

When you connect speakers to the 3.5 jack, does the left external speaker also repeat the noise?

Glassed Silver:mac

When you connect speakers to the 3.5 jack, does the left external speaker also repeat the noise?

Glassed Silver:mac

I'll give this a try.

Take it back to the store for them to take a look.

I'm going to call Apple Care first, last resort is lugging it back to the store really.

• Like 1