Instant Screen Lock for mac?

Is there any shortcut that will pull up the screensaver or the locked computer screen like the win key + L combination in Windows? If not is there an App that serves the same purpose I can leave on my dock for when I want to quickly lock the screen?

ctrl+shift+esc does nothing and ctrl+shift+eject puts it to sleep, I dont want it to sleep, just lock it. Edit: Hang on never mind sorry, thanks!

Back when I used OS X regularly, this bothered me as well. I don't know if there is a better way to do it now (without any third party software), but I used Quicksilver to create a keyboard shortcut activating the screensaver (/.System/Library/Frameworks/ScreenSaver.framework/Versions/A/Resources/ScreenSaverEngine.app). I believe this guide demonstrates exactly what you want to do. Also, this guide appears to be much the same thing (with much more detailed screenshots), however it uses another third party program to lock the screen instead of directly launching the screensaver.

Not a keyboard shortcut, but you could try...

Open the Keychain Access application from Applications > Utilities. Go into Preferences and tick "Show keychain status in menu bar." You can then choose "Lock Screen" from the icon in the menu bar near the clock.

Not a keyboard shortcut, but you could try...

Open the Keychain Access application from Applications > Utilities. Go into Preferences and tick "Show keychain status in menu bar." You can then choose "Lock Screen" from the icon in the menu bar near the clock.

Yeah, this is the workaround I?ve seen. I can then add a keyboard shortcut named "Lock Screen" with Command+L and it?ll do it. I?d like to not have this icon up there though.

Oh well? It?s not like I?m really using the manual Lock Screen feature, but now that I?ve known about it, my screen locks itself automatically after 5 minutes of idle time :)

Cooky doesn't like iOSifying his Mac OS X setup! :p

So I guess LS2 would be the horror for him.

Glassed Silver:mac

Cooky doesn't like iOSifying his Mac OS X setup! :p

So I guess LS2 would be the horror for him.

Glassed Silver:mac

This is true, the first thing I do when I install OS X is trash Launchpad. Secondly, Lock Screen 2 doesn't let me password protect the lock screen, which defeats why I want to lock it in the first place

This is true, the first thing I do when I install OS X is trash Launchpad. Secondly, Lock Screen 2 doesn't let me password protect the lock screen, which defeats why I want to lock it in the first place

Last time I checked it does let you do that!

Glassed Silver:ios

It does, but it doesn't work, if you swipe the keyboard it doesn't ask for the password

Technically you can't though.

Well I removed the dock icon, and I'll trash the application too if it's safe to

Well I removed the dock icon, and I'll trash the application too if it's safe to

Please tell me you do realize Launchpad is an integral part of the Dock? Launchpad.app in /Applications is just a trigger so you can access it by clicking a Dock icon. Trashing it won't get you anywhere except save a whopping 1,1 MB. It won't actually get rid of Launchpad.