50 replies to this topic

#1 Ironman273

Ironman273

Neowinian Fanatic

• Tech Issues Solved: 4
  • Phone: Nokia Lumia 920

Posted 08 November 2011 - 14:57

Next Xbox Codenamed "Loop", Runs On Modified Windows 9

Insider blog MS nerd, which has been right on a few things coming out of Microsoft HQ from time to time, reckons it has some info on the next Xbox console.

Currently codenamed "Loop", the site says the console will have a single main processor that's joined by "assistive cores" for "graphics, AI, physics, sound, networking, encryption and sensors".

To be both smaller and cheaper than the Xbox 360 (it's not specified whether it'll be cheaper than the 360 is now or cheaper than it was at launch), it will also apparently run on a modified version of Windows 9. The console will, according to the site, be designed as a joint venture between Microsoft and "two partners based on the ARM architecture".

All of which sounds interesting. And, with the next Xbox not due for at least another year or three, completely unverified and liable to change (if it's true in the first place!).

We've contacted Microsoft for comment, and will update if we hear back.

Source: Kotaku

#2 thatguyandrew1992

thatguyandrew1992

Neowinian Senior

Posted 08 November 2011 - 15:05

Windows 9, say whaaaaaat! That's pretty awesome.

#3 Ayepecks

Ayepecks

Neowinian Senior

Posted 08 November 2011 - 15:07

I'm calling BS on that whole post. An ARM processor would make backwards compatibility a pain in the ass.

#4 OP Ironman273

Ironman273

Neowinian Fanatic

• Phone: Nokia Lumia 920

Posted 08 November 2011 - 15:10

I'm calling BS on that whole post. An ARM processor would make backwards compatibility a pain in the ass.

Remember that they had tablets running Windows 8 with Office, etc. running on an ARM processor at Build.

#5 Charisma

Charisma

e-1337-ist

• Tech Issues Solved: 1

Posted 08 November 2011 - 15:12

Loop? I hope they call it the Xbox Infinite, then. :D
(sort of makes sense after 360...)

#6 Roger H.

Roger H.

Neowinian Senior

• Tech Issues Solved: 20
  • Phone: Nexus 5

Posted 08 November 2011 - 15:15

Well i would hope they aren't planning on running Windows Vista, 6.0 core in 2015! Push out with the latest and build from that. Windows 9's core should be done by time Xbox next comes out anyways.

#7 TheLegendOfMart

TheLegendOfMart

Neowinian Senior

Posted 08 November 2011 - 15:16

Remember that they had tablets running Windows 8 with Office, etc. running on an ARM processor at Build.

Thats because Windows 8 has had an ARM version being developed from day one alongside the regular x86 build.

Theres no way they could write an emulator for Xbox 360 games and they would have to go back and port each game on its own to ARM.

Xbox 'loop' wont have an ARM cpu they arent powerful enough.

#8 threetonesun

threetonesun

Neowinian Senior

Posted 08 November 2011 - 15:23

Well i would hope they aren't planning on running Windows Vista, 6.0 core in 2015! Push out with the latest and build from that. Windows 9's core should be done by time Xbox next comes out anyways.

I would hope the next Xbox comes out before 2015 :s

#9 +Nik L

Nik L

Where's my pants?

• Tech Issues Solved: 2

Posted 08 November 2011 - 15:24

Also... Windows9? I know that Win9 is already more likely than not to be beyond the "Ooooh what next" stage, but this seems a bit too big of a deal to be known at such a point!?

#10 Zain Adeel

Zain Adeel

Zain

Posted 08 November 2011 - 15:25

that would actually be awesome.
Imagining.. this move maybe microsoft wants companies to prep software for ARM devices till win9 hits market.
That would be amazing. I planned not to buy a win8 tablet just because if i spend asmuch as an Ipad ill get ARM based tablet and wont be able to run big softwares due to them not being based on ARM structure. But this move will make bring the big change. (now i dont know how their performance compares to x86 ones) any detailed benchies out there guys?

#11 Jason S.

Jason S.

Neowinian Senior

• Tech Issues Solved: 5

Posted 08 November 2011 - 15:26

i really really hate console speculation. lets just wait for some official news, hopefully next year.

#12 Charisma

Charisma

e-1337-ist

Posted 08 November 2011 - 15:31

i really really hate console speculation. lets just wait for some official news, hopefully next year.

And even OS speculation. Win8 is not even close to done and we're already talking about something Win9 may or may not be a part of? Hey, let's go ahead and start talking about Windows 15. I hear it needs a dodecatuple processor, and can get up and make coffee and breakfast for you.

#13 Roger H.

Roger H.

Neowinian Senior

• Tech Issues Solved: 20
  • Phone: Nexus 5

Posted 08 November 2011 - 15:41

I would hope the next Xbox comes out before 2015 :s

Well the rumor is 2013 which would be like what, 8yrs from the 360?? I was saying that in 2015 the next Xbox should be out and I wouldn't want to be using a or 7 core then.

#14 Ayepecks

Ayepecks

Neowinian Senior

Posted 08 November 2011 - 16:46

They run the operating system because the operating system has been changed to run it. When they demoed Office they even said they had to program specifically for ARM. You would have to reprogram all the games to run on ARM, or you'd have to do one hell of an emulation job. And given that the fastest ARM processors at the moment don't even sniff at what the 360's old hardware is capable of, I highly doubt that's a feasible route.

So I'm still calling BS for now. And another thing: if it runs a modified version of Windows 9 (instead of just being based on whatever the latest version Windows NT is at the time of release), then that would imply that it'd basically be a PC. So, tell me: where does Xbox Live fit into all this? Microsoft tried the pay-path for online multiplayer on PC. Didn't go too well. But if they take it out of the consoles, Microsoft removes what is one of the (if not the) biggest sources of revenue from the entertainment division. I'm sure they could split the two off in some way, but if they're going the route of having a modified Windows 9 on the next Xbox, I don't see why you wouldn't want cohesion.

That blog's been wrong just as often as it's been right. And when it's right it's generally obvious predictions. I can somewhat buy Windows 9, but I don't even remotely buy the ARM part. That seems as far-fetched as any rumor I've ever heard in the gaming industry.

#15 BajiRav

BajiRav

Neowinian Senior

• Phone: Lumia 920

Posted 08 November 2011 - 17:18

I highly doubt the ARM part of this rumor. It would be a real PITA for them to emulate 360 PPC on ARM. The Windows 9 part I find more believable but it will be mostly limited to using a locked down NT variant from Win9 at the most.
I guess the easiest path for them is to improve the current processor and/or just ship a dual or quad processors in next 360 with similar improvements in memory(2GB? 4GB? and graphics). Problem Solved, You are welcome MS. :innocent:

Real question for me is will they use a standard BD for games(most likely not) and will 4K be the highest supported resolution?