Next Xbox Codenamed "Loop", Runs On Modified Windows 9

rumour durango loop xbox one microsoft windows 9

• Please log in to reply
50 replies to this topic

#31 Audioboxer

Audioboxer

Hermit Arcana

Posted 09 November 2011 - 12:01

The issues surrounding BC next gen are far more complicated than our last generation leap where BC meant putting a physical disc in a new console. Look at all the XBLA downloads/DLC/account tie-ins/game patches & updates. Then there's the DRM factor.

Personally I'm pretty worried about how much of our content we will actually be able to see on the new consoles and how much is going to be stuck on our current consoles.

#32 Rudy

Rudy

Neowinian Senior

Posted 09 November 2011 - 18:22

Those talking about backwards compatibility - the original Xbox had an i386 CPU in it. For backwards compatibility, I believe they recompiled games from i386 to PPC and had you download them, using the original discs for art assets and so on.

They could do that again if they change architectures, for sure.

That would make sense since the binaries are such a small portion of the game anyway

#33 BajiRav

BajiRav

Neowinian Senior

• Phone: Lumia 920

Posted 09 November 2011 - 19:42

The issues surrounding BC next gen are far more complicated than our last generation leap where BC meant putting a physical disc in a new console. Look at all the XBLA downloads/DLC/account tie-ins/game patches & updates. Then there's the DRM factor.

Personally I'm pretty worried about how much of our content we will actually be able to see on the new consoles and how much is going to be stuck on our current consoles.

should be ok with things like license transfer tools etc (or whatever Microsoft calls it)

#34 oceanmotion

oceanmotion

Neowinian

Posted 09 November 2011 - 20:01

should be ok with things like license transfer tools etc (or whatever Microsoft calls it)

Yeah they've been good with that.

I'm don't think there will be a problem like last time with BC. People have invested far too much in digital content, they would get slammed even harder.

While I would disappointed if they didn't do BC well or at all, it wouldn't really bother me.in the long run. I've played so many games that I've enjoyed but have no interest in playing ever again. DLC even more. Are we really going to care about COD map packs, avatar clothes, in the years to come.That's just me of course.

Still, I don't think MS will forget about BC or half arse it this time around.

#35 c3ntury

c3ntury

Say whaa?

Posted 09 November 2011 - 20:10

Would make some sense perhaps being Windows 9, heck, it'd give them a good base for a long life cycle anyway.

#36 George P

George P

Neowinian Senior

• Tech Issues Solved: 1
  • Phone: HTC Windows Phone 8X

Posted 09 November 2011 - 20:22

Smaller XBLA games shouldn't have a problem and at the most would just need a small recompile and redownload over to the new system etc. Besides I expect a ~2 year or so overlap with the 360 and the next Xbox this time around.

The only up front benefit to MS out of this would be, other than the cooler and quieter hardware with ARM is that they could instantly support future XBLA games that will more or less run on both the new xbox console and future windows phones thus being another plus to game devs working on the platform and also more integration on that side of things. But I don't think they'll change off of PPC, but who knows? If we're talking 2013 then lots of things can change.

#37 DigitalE

DigitalE

Tree Climber

Posted 14 November 2011 - 00:38

I don't even see the need for backward compatibility. They stopped updating the Xbox 1 emulator on the 360; why would they put backward compatibility in the next Xbox?

#38 Motoko.

Motoko.

Neowinian Senior

Posted 14 November 2011 - 00:52

I'd like a nice launch price of $250, please.

#39 Ayepecks

Ayepecks

Neowinian Senior

Posted 14 November 2011 - 01:42

I'd like a nice launch price of $250, please.

I'd like a nice launch price of $1, please.

#40 George P

George P

Neowinian Senior

Posted 14 November 2011 - 09:23

They'll probably aim for the same old $299-$399 depending on what they put in it, so until we actually know official hardware specs it could be priced at anything over $200.

Going with ARM would cut the price down though, I think, so that's one way to look at it. The only ones using the custom PPC in the 360 is the 360, don't have the same sorta volume being made that ends up effecting price.

#41 Emn1ty

Emn1ty

Web Programmer

• Phone: Driod Razr

Posted 15 November 2011 - 18:38

Its not the expensive throw a disc drive in the system for you to transfer your disc data to the HDD and be done with it. As long as MS makes it only doable on their console then I don't see a reason why spending an extra $20 on a generic dvd drive in the system would put anyone off. The only downside to the drive is the system will have to be larger.

On the other hand they can simply give the option of a disc reader peripheral which will allow you to run your games on an external disc drive (that way trade ins are possible). The only thing I hope the new xbox supports is the current 360 HDD. That way I can trade my console and controllers in, get the new one and just slap in my hard drive and be ready to go minus a few updates.

#42 Colicab

Colicab

DGDesign

Posted 15 November 2011 - 18:51

Please not another 3-4yrs of Xbox 360... How stunted do you want to make PC games? Its already held us back enuff.

#43 George P

George P

Neowinian Senior

Posted 16 November 2011 - 18:17

Please not another 3-4yrs of Xbox 360... How stunted do you want to make PC games? Its already held us back enuff.

There's an argument to be made that PC gamers have held back PC gaming enough on their own with lack of sales. The hard truth is that console bring in more money for a dev but regardless nothing stops them from putting more in the PC version if they want, the fact they don't and just make the PC version the same as the console version is cost savings. You might want to call it being lazy but then you're not the one spending millions to make a game are you? Look at BF3, nothing stopped DICE from taking full advantage of the PC hardware and DX11 to make the PC version the best while still offering a good console version of the game as well. Of course they do this because they know the target market for this game is the PC MP people and not so much the console FPS fan who's already jumped over to the new CoD game.

#44 neo158

neo158

Neowinian Senior

• Phone: Samsung ATIV S i8750

Posted 16 November 2011 - 18:32

Remember that they had tablets running Windows 8 with Office, etc. running on an ARM processor at Build.

That build of Office was coded specifically for ARM processors though.

#45 Alladaskill17

Alladaskill17

Neowinian Senior

Posted 24 November 2011 - 23:37

Given the proposed Launch date I would expect to see download only games and no drive at all to compete with services like onlive.

:rolleyes: you're so silly it's like you think Microsoft is dumb enough to think everybody will be okay with that. I'm pretty sure some surveys and research would show that people and gamers (just going off comments throughout the recent years here) do like to have physical discs, not all, but people do. Also, yeah do this would completely destroy retailers... great for business and business relations.

Whole article is BS. ARM = no backward compatibility; Windows 9? lulz