Next Xbox Codenamed "Loop", Runs On Modified Windows 9

rumour durango loop xbox one microsoft windows 9

• Please log in to reply
50 replies to this topic

#46 SteelToast

SteelToast

Neowinian

Posted 24 November 2011 - 23:48

I am guessing the ARM part of the post won't be true, hard for backwards compatibility.

And if Loop is indeed running some form of Win 9, 2014 is the year it will come out.

#47 torrentthief

torrentthief

Neowinian Senior

Posted 25 November 2011 - 00:04

I don't see how it is technically possible.

ARM will have 2.5ghz quad core processors in 2013. Even a 2.5ghz would be slow for a console i bet, would be slower than a core i3. How could such a slow speed be used in an Xbox, i just don't believe it.

As for graphics that is believable as nvidia are bringing have their tegra processors and there are quite a few gpu makers for ARM, i'm sure they could create some very good dx11.1 capable cores which would be adequate for a new console but cpu-wise i can't see it happening.

My guess is that AMD will sell MS an APU (CPU/GPU) chip that would be 6/8 cores with the fastest graphics they can make on it. It the only logical choice as intel's graphics sucks and nvidia don't have an x86 license.

Its possible that they could have an intel cpu + nvidia/ati gpu but i would assume that they want want to keep costs down seeing as though the economy is bad.

I'm sure ms/sony will announce their consoles by the end of 2012 as Nintendo could sell quite alot of wii2 consoles.

#48 vetFred Derf

Fred Derf

Klaatu barada nikto

Posted 25 November 2011 - 01:02

Loop? As in when it gets the blue screen of death, it writes a dumpfile and reboots?

#49 Aergan

Aergan

Neowinian Senior

• Tech Issues Solved: 6
  • Phone: Sony Xperia Z1

Posted 27 November 2011 - 00:40

Rumours stated that there would be a cheap Xbox for media services, that could easily be the source of the ARM speculation - no chance of backwards compatability.

#50 George P

George P

Neowinian Senior

• Tech Issues Solved: 1
  • Phone: HTC Windows Phone 8X

Posted 27 November 2011 - 11:54

Rumours stated that there would be a cheap Xbox for media services, that could easily be the source of the ARM speculation - no chance of backwards compatability.

If true I think the cheaper version could have a different name as well, this way people who buy the cheaper one who might not be able to play full games won't get mixed up by it.

#51 JaredFrost

JaredFrost

Neowinian

Posted 01 December 2011 - 10:33

I can see them having differing hardware, but only in the sense one is a smaller media center type device with no DVD drive, only used for media and digital distribution, but I do not see different cpu architextures
And if they were smart, they'd keep 100% compatibility with all xbox 360 games.

I've taken a few 360s apart, the biggest space taker is the dvd drive which takes up a lot of space, causes a lot of unused space, removing that you could make the console very small.