Adobe ceases development on mobile browser Flash, refocuses efforts on HTML

Sources close to Adobe that have been briefed on the company?s future development plans have revealed this forthcoming announcement to ZDNet:

Our future work with Flash on mobile devices will be focused on enabling Flash developers to package native apps with Adobe AIR for all the major app stores. We will no longer adapt Flash Player for mobile devices to new browser, OS version or device configurations. Some of our source code licensees may opt to continue working on and releasing their own implementations. We will continue to support the current Android and PlayBook configurations with critical bug fixes and security updates.

Source: ZDNet

Oh yes, oh yes, oh yes. That's so wonderful news. I'm glad Windows Phone doesn't support the crappy Flash. I have not installed Flash on my Windows 8 DP which I'm using day to day.

So the ghost of Steve Jobs has won. He must be dancing in heaven or hell wherever he went. Wonder why Adobe took this decision though. I think battery life must be the reason on mobile devices.

Isn't the quote just saying that Flash apps will be compiled to run as standalone AIR apps? It's not really the death of Flash so much as a much more logical direction to take with it. Flash in the browser suffers from performance and functionality limitations that has less to do with it being Flash and more to do with it being *in a mobile browser*.

If anything, this falls in line precisely with every other decision they've made in the past year and should have very little impact on readers who pay any attention to web technology at all.

That's great. Time for HTML5 to resolve its issues and finalize the video and audio codecs.

Seriously. Did it ever get around to dealing with screens going to sleep? Last I heard, HTML5 video couldn't tell the OS to ignore the user being idle.

This is great news! Flash had no place in mobile browsers.

Seriously. Did it ever get around to dealing with screens going to sleep? Last I heard, HTML5 video couldn't tell the OS to ignore the user being idle.

There's no way for a web developer to do so for each HTML5 video, but browser vendors could certainly program that behavior in for all HTML5 videos. I would think that should be default if you full-screen a video.

Great! Let's use HTML and CSS, two descriptive languages that were never made to do anything but basic web pages! Let's use JavaScript, one of the most horrible programming languages ever, whose original point was to do basic things like hiding and showing DIVs! Let's force all browser makes to develop extremely complex JS engines because otherwise everything is super-slow, since we're doing ultra-complicated calculations inside the browser!

We could use powerful languages made to display rich content, but, hey, HTML5 is soooo much better.

Great! Let's use HTML and CSS, two descriptive languages that were never made to do anything but basic web pages! Let's use JavaScript, one of the most horrible programming languages ever, whose original point was to do basic things like hiding and showing DIVs! Let's force all browser makes to develop extremely complex JS engines because otherwise everything is super-slow, since we're doing ultra-complicated calculations inside the browser!

We could use powerful languages made to display rich content, but, hey, HTML5 is soooo much better.

Guess you were a fan of Active X too back in the day... :p

Guess you were a fan of Active X too back in the day... :p

Flash has nothing to do with ActiveX.

ActiveX is the plugin model for Internet Explorer, whose equivalent is NPAPI on other browsers (they both do the same thing...allowing native code to run inside the browser, with whatever privileges the browser gives...)

Flash is a plugin for browsers, whose point is to display rich content (e.g. video) or applications. Its desktop equivalent is AIR.

I dont see where Adobe is losing here anything. Flash will still be used on mobiles via Air as standalone apps, and on desktops as it is. They are just smart enough to realize where their future is and are actually adopting accordingly. Glad to see they dont have their heads up their own butts as some other companies.