Sign in to follow this  
Followers 0
L0u1s

Installing an Airport Express

7 posts in this topic

Hi,

I've tried to install a brand new Airport Express using the latest Airport Utility tool. I'm running through the normal steps, say I want to extend a current network. The Express is connected to a Ethernet cable. DHCP.

When setting it up downstairs near the router/modem everything works. When trying the same setup upstairs with a 20m+ Ethernet cable, the Express doesn't get a IP address...

Any sound advice on this one?

Can you confirm what version of AirPort Express you're using? Wireless G, Wireless N? etc.

Can you also post up a screenshot of your AirPort Extreme's Wireless Settings Page.

Can you verify another device can get an IP with that ethernet cable? Sounds to me like the cable might be to blame here...

When I plug in the cable in my laptop it works just fine.

The only thing I can think of is that the cable upstairs is plugged in directly into the router/modem, where as the cables downstairs are hooked up onto a switch which is then connected to the router/modem...

I've now set up a manual IP adress. The status now switches between "normal" and "ethernet cable unplugged"...

Frustrated :/

what type of router are you trying to pair the express with?

It sounds like you are using a crossover cable (where your laptop supports auto crossover but the airport express doesnt) I assume it worked correctly downstairs using different cable?