Steam Forum Warning

Yep, so change your passwords, people.

Seriously, like right now. Otherwise we'll have a whole new thread of people

complaining they got hacked even though fair notice was given.

Yeah I'm a regular there. the forums are still down.

And yeah just incase (even though the forums are seperate from the steam program), change your passwords for the steam program. I just did.

My forum account has a different password than my main account, I really don't care if my forum account is "hacked" (I never use it anymore), and my email password is different than both. To be safe, I went ahead and changed my steam account password, to a password different than what I use on both the forum and for my email, and more secure ( > 6 unique characters vs 6 unique characters only).

I would also suggest that anyone who used the same password for their email address also change that, so they can't gain access to your email if the passwords are cracked.

tried changing steam PW on forums, says cant, still down.

changed it through the client though

Sweet! free games :) already got Portal 2 but I will happily take a DOTA 2 :D

I'm pretty sure my forum pass, account pass, and email pass were all different anyway (as it should be) so think I'm gonna be ok for a bit. Gonna change them as soon as I get in tonight though

Sweet! free games :) already got Portal 2 but I will happily take a DOTA 2 :D

I'm pretty sure my forum pass, account pass, and email pass were all different anyway (as it should be) so think I'm gonna be ok for a bit. Gonna change them as soon as I get in tonight though

Well it appears you wouldn't have to worry even if they were the same, to be honest.

Well it appears you wouldn't have to worry even if they were the same, to be honest.

iirc its only the credit card details are AES256 it was said somewhere else the passwords are just salted and hashed

I use a unique password for pretty much everything except a few sites I'm not worried about. My Steam password, my Steam forum password and my email passwords are completely different. I'm not too concerned since everything is hashed and salted but I will keep an eye on my CC/Paypal and my Steam account just in case.

iirc its only the credit card details are AES256 it was said somewhere else the passwords are just salted and hashed

If they're using 256-bit AES for credit card details and etc, I'd imagine they probably are using SHA-256 or SHA-512 to generate the hashes. So with salting, I doubt there is anything to worry about.

Forum-wise though, they're using an outdated copy of vB so I wouldn't be surprised if those are just plain salted MD5.

So this means we're not getting free games, which makes sense. Valve would have no way to justify the development costs of DoTA 2 if pretty much everyone got it for free at launch.