Modern Warfare 3 sells 6.5M in biggest day-one ever

DLC on Dreamcast? You mean the "FREE" addons that were available? Not exactly the same as most companys now use DLC as a cash cow to milk extra $$ from gamers.

I dont remember paying to download extra levels for PSO.

COD:MW3 is little more than the Hollywood sequel machine infecting gaming. Problem is gamers arent as readily fooled by this trick.

Can't believe this game is selling so much copies. Listen, I have no problem with cod and cod type games, but they keep rehashing the same game every year and people are eating them up. Its like people want activision to exploit them :p. They will keep churning the same game out over and over again until people stop buying them. COD4 was great, but since then there has been no innovation in this series.

• Like 1

DLC on Dreamcast? You mean the "FREE" addons that were available? Not exactly the same as most companys now use DLC as a cash cow to milk extra $$ from gamers.

I dont remember paying to download extra levels for PSO.

COD:MW3 is little more than the Hollywood sequel machine infecting gaming. Problem is gamers arent as readily fooled by this trick.

I agree with the Dreamcast comment, but 9 million "gamers" have been readily fooled by this trick on day 1 buddy :(

Can't believe this game is selling so much copies. Listen, I have no problem with cod and cod type games, but they keep rehashing the same game every year and people are eating them up. Its like people want activision to exploit them :p. They will keep churning the same game out over and over again until people stop buying them. COD4 was great, but since then there has been no innovation in this series.

I disagree with this. Sure MW3 does resemble COD 4 but it is in no way like MW2. I also liked Black OPS. There will be another release next November as well. I can't wait. It will be the next game I buy.

I disagree with this. Sure MW3 does resemble COD 4 but it is in no way like MW2. I also liked Black OPS. There will be another release next November as well. I can't wait. It will be the next game I buy.

I gave up on the series after the disaster that was MW2, although I should have ignored WaW too, but let's be honest, MW3 is at least a little bit like MW2. We're not comparing it to Pac-Man.

I gave up on the series after the disaster that was MW2, although I should have ignored WaW too, but let's be honest, MW3 is at least a little bit like MW2. We're not comparing it to Pac-Man.

Well yes it is a tad like MW2 but it is more like COD 4 and it is nowhere close to Black OPs as some have said.

While I am impressed by the number of sales I'm not surprised to see that figure when it sells on 3 platforms. I'm more impressed with 4-5m copies sold by exclusives. Sales mean very little about how good a game is. Its how those sales were made that makes a difference. Day one sales are the least indicitave of quality and only demonstrate anticipation and the success of marketing. While I will say it is also an indicator of dedicated fans, the dedicated fanbase of this particular game isn't always the most informed. Gamers today are the "It's new, I'll buy it cause the commercials say its awesome" crowd.

People are bringing up "innovation" a lot in this thread.

Besides... Innovate a modern day FPS? Make the guns shoot bologna? What would innovation be at this point? Id really like to hear everyone's thoughts on what would be innovative, and if it truly is, then why aren't you in the game industry? Modern Warfare was very innovative in bringing RPG element to multiplayer character progression in a fun way, and having a cinematic single player storyline. Since then there has been changes, mostly to balance in multiplayer, and the newest iteration made drastic changes to balance and progression. Do you expect them to create a completely different IP every time they release a game? Completely change the multiplayer experience every time so it feels like a different game completely? What made everyone love Modern Warfare is the base they have stayed true to, and that's perfectly understandable. The reason it may seem like its not innovating is that everyone is copying it, and doing so poorly, hence making it seem like IW NEEDS to completely change it up and be the innovator once again.

No need to though, they are king.