NJ students text parents to say bus driver drunk

PHILADELPHIA (AP) ? A New Jersey bus driver has been charged with drunken driving after a middle school student texted home with "Mommy I think our bus driver is drunk she's not driving right."

Westampton police Sgt. Stephen Ent says Carole Crockett had a blood-alcohol level of 0.25 percent, five times the legal limit for operating a commercial vehicle.

Some of the 25 students on the bus called and texted their parents Tuesday afternoon to alert them. Twelve-year-old Dominic Rodrigues tells NBC Philadelphia ( bit.ly/srQgMv) that kids were yelling: "I don't want to die today!"

Parents called Westampton Middle School, which alerted police. Officers say they found Crockett at another school trying to pick up more students.

The 46-year-old Crockett didn't return a voice mail message Thursday. She was released on $85,000 bail.

^ Over here, they have bail bondsman.

Your family puts up 10 percent, then the bondsman supplies the rest.

I think sometimes you have to pledge your house as insurance that your family member won't flee trial.

Still $8,500 (10%) is allot of money to pony up! But perhaps she will think twice before driving drunk! I just looked up the law regarding DUI with CDL's:

After Convicted of a DUI, Can I Get My CDL Back?

In most cases you?ll be able to get a reinstated CDL after a DUI conviction. If you were driving a non-commercial vehicle when you committed the DUI, you can usually get a CDL within a few months. If you were driving a commercial vehicle when it happened, you?ll probably have to wait at least a year before it?s reinstated. This only applies to a first DUI conviction. If you?ve been convicted of a second DUI, you?ll no longer be able to obtain a CDL license.

This may not apply to all states, as the site I found was just general information about DUI convictions, but still it looks like she will have to find a new job now!

Wow. I find it a bit ridiculous that you would even have the possibility of reinstating a CDL after getting a DUI... More proof that DUI laws are far too lax...

And this is why people act like DUI's are funny. Far too often, the states wait for you to kill someone before they're willing to do anything about it.

dont you get the 8500 back if you show up to court?

Yes, or maybe.

If I remember right, the 10 percent is kept by the bail bonding agent -- that is his profit.

But it will probably still be gone, after lawyer fees & court costs. :huh:

If the defendant skips out, all the bail money is kept by the courts.