Black Friday 2011 - Deals & Duds

I'm thinking of getting that Samsung 46LCD for $598. Doesn't seem that bad of a deal unless anyone knows a better one :D

MOD EDIT - Originally part of another thread in gamers but figured i'd split this and make it more general

So if you buying this year post up some links to sweet deals you might have found (unless you don't wanna share :shifty: I understand :p )

amazon.co.uk are doing their version of 'black friday' from November 21st to and including 25th 2011.

I wish they would tell us all now what is going cheap!

Best Buy has a 42" Sharp LCD for 200.

Saw that, but it's Sharp. :x

I was looking at a nice LG also i'm not gonna go spend that much yet.

Holy crap... My brother works at Best Buy, I better ask him if there's any concerns about it (prone to breaking, for instance), because Sharp makes fairly decent TVs and that price is way too good to pass up.

A lot of companies have been known to make "special" cheap TVs for the big sales like this. More than likely it will be a slightly different part number that's not normally on the market.

And that's usually a big red flag that it might be a junker.

The only thing I'm hoping to find is a relatively cheap (yet good quality) monitor that supports MultiTouch :p Though my luck never is that great. :(

Tempting, but I would rather put in a few extra and get a better model. I don't trust the cheap BF TV's.

They got a $428 Samsung 40" too.. That's at Walmart now for $598 or Best Buy for $548 (grr, had to go all the way to checkout!)

http://www.walmart.com/ip/Samsung-LN40D550/15992349

http://www.bestbuy.com/site/Samsung+-+40%22+Class+/+1080p+/+60Hz+/+LCD+HDTV/2126065.p?skuId=2126065&productCategoryId=abcat0101001&id=1218310759242

Was $699.

• 2 weeks later...

For me, Black Friday is a good day to stock up on flash memory, and blu-rays.

A lot of companies have been known to make "special" cheap TVs for the big sales like this. More than likely it will be a slightly different part number that's not normally on the market.

And that's usually a big red flag that it might be a junker.

Yep. I've worked a black friday event, and a lot of the door busters or super cheap TVs, laptops and such are what's currently on the shelf for a higher price, but they're missing an HDMI port, have a smidge lower clock speed, or some other nifty thing.

Hmm this target one doesn't look bad:

http://www.target.com/p/Westinghouse-46-Class-1080p-60hz-LCD-HDTV-Black-VR-4625/-/A-13676292

seems there's some typos though as it says:

Video Resolution: HD - 720p

Video Upconversion: 1080p

:blink: :ermm:

Anyways, i might get that one and see - for a 46" looks too good to pass up!

These are great deals, but what you have to go through to most likely not get one is just stupid. No way I'm going to wait in a line for 3 hours in the buttcrack of dawn, just to hopefully get a few of the TVs they will have in stock at these prices. It is really easier to just wait for Electronic Monday and go for the online deals.

I'm going to do all my shopping online, since Black Friday isn't really a thing in Canada. Hopefully there will be some good Cyber Monday deals. The only thing I'm really looking to pick up is a SSD, and some Blu-Rays.

http://www.walmart.c...375072208299683

That is a 42'' Vizio LED LCD 3D-TV with WiFi and a QWERTY keyboard for $598 on Black Friday.

That is the one I will be getting, I think. Just worried as it only has two online reviews via Wal-Mart, but there is also a youtube review, that seems decent. I don't know if I trust Vizio though. What has me sold on it is the 240Hz refresh rate and 5,000,000:1 ratio. Them are some good numbers for gaming.

EDIT: Actually that youtube review was a different TV. I can't seem to find any reviews on this TV other than the single one on WalMart.com, which seems shifty itself. :/

2ND EDIT: Also, now looking around, WalMart.com is the only site that says 5,000,000:1 ratio, everywhere else I am seeing it shows it as 100,000:1. Ugh. I hate TVs.

That 5,000,000:1 ratio really doesn't mean much of anything, I don't know the specifics, but I have had many people and heard from many reviewers that color contrast ratio's don't really mean anything and shouldn't be one of the main reasons you buy a monitor and/or tv.

That 5,000,000:1 ratio really doesn't mean much of anything, I don't know the specifics, but I have had many people and heard from many reviewers that color contrast ratio's don't really mean anything and shouldn't be one of the main reasons you buy a monitor and/or tv.

Well, I know the Hz make a difference in gaming and such. I'm trying to bring myself up to speed on LCD TVs and what everything means. I just don't want to make a ****-poor purchase and be upset with what I get. I assume I can just get the extended warranty, just incase anything goes wrong, or I do not like it.

Well, I know the Hz make a difference in gaming and such. I'm trying to bring myself up to speed on LCD TVs and what everything means. I just don't want to make a ****-poor purchase and be upset with what I get. I assume I can just get the extended warranty, just incase anything goes wrong, or I do not like it.

Actually, Hz only matters for movies and television, not games. For 3d movies, you basically need 240hz, so you get at least 120hz to each eye and it reduces the blur effects of motion. 120hz is good for most TV and Movies, but the added frames can artifact, as it is frames being rendered by the processor in the TV, and not real frames.

For gaming, while it may seem "smoother", you will actually get more input lag and artifacts on the screen. There is a reason a lot of 120-240hz come with a option called "gaming mode".

Here is a little read up on Input Lag caused by such Hz. http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Input_lag

I wanna go check out that Westinghouse and the Samsung if they have them on display at the stores later to see if they are worth the buy. Pictures online are wrong sometimes too i found out. Damn Walmart putting up skinny LED LCD TV for a CRT LCD! :angry:

Actually, Hz only matters for movies and television, not games. For 3d movies, you basically need 240hz, so you get at least 120hz to each eye and it reduces the blur effects of motion. 120hz is good for most TV and Movies, but the added frames can artifact, as it is frames being rendered by the processor in the TV, and not real frames.

For gaming, while it may seem "smoother", you will actually get more input lag and artifacts on the screen. There is a reason a lot of 120-240hz come with a option called "gaming mode".

Here is a little read up on Input Lag caused by such Hz. http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Input_lag

Nice. Thanks for clearing that up, shakey. Gonna read over that. I really am not up to date or savvy on TVs, just going off what I hear others say and such. I guess I should put more effort into finding these things out.

Would you recommend I grab the TV I linked, or should I look elsewhere?

Nice. Thanks for clearing that up, shakey. Gonna read over that. I really am not up to date or savvy on TVs, just going off what I hear others say and such. I guess I should put more effort into finding these things out.

Would you recommend I grab the TV I linked, or should I look elsewhere?

In all honesty... I would be hesitant upon spending that much money on a 3D TV that I can not find a single review about. I normally don't trust reviews left on the actual companies site, especially when there are only 1 or 2 of them lol.

If there is a good refund policy, it would be worth a test at least. But remember, they will only have a few of these TV's in stock in each store, and judging by what I was able to find online, it is going to be a mad house to get one of these. The savings as well is only about 300 bucks, as the TV normally goes for $900ish.

Also, there seems to be conflicting descriptions about the specs of the TV, especially the contrast ratio, which I've seen as either 1,000,0000:1 to 5,000,0000:1.

Maybe before the sale, go and see if you can find a display one to mess around with. But it is hard to find anything about this TV.

3D TV's have dropped in price a HUUUGE amount over the past few months, and if you are patient, they will continue to drop dramatically over the next few months as well. At Fry's, I can pick up a 55" Samsung 3D TV for just around $1500. That is a steal compared to what I paid for my 120Hz Samsung just almost 2 years ago.