Network Problems Wrt45gl

We have 2 Wireless, 1 Wired Computer and a few mobile phones which connect to the network.

Ntl 10mbs to Virgin modem to Wrt54gl router 4.30.15 firmware.

Network is turned on when required, so no reboot is required, but we get connection problems on all devices except the wired ones, but even sometimes loading the config page can take a while on wired devices, Network is on Channel 5 2.432ghz, Mixed, WPA 2 AES. The connection problem can be not seeing network ( although ive connected from quite far away before ) or connecting and not getting an Ip.

I cant always be at home to play with settings and Tbh im not really sure what im doing.

Its DCHP and the firewall is on, Disabled SSID Broadcast and wireless access to Setup page. Other than that Ive not setup Mac filtering QOS etc.

Would like some help finding whats at fault and if i should just get a new router, would like to know the router is broken first.

Problems started with Bf3, being unable to use a Wireless device on network while my wired computer is connected and than Samsung s2 required a shorted Wireless password.

So now im stuck and some advice would be nice.

"The connection problem can be not seeing network"

well for starters why do you have this set "Disabled SSID Broadcast"

Why would you ever disable SSID broadcast?? It's one of the 6 dumbest ways to try and secure wireless.. Its POINTLESS!! And will only ever cause you grief and issues, and can cause issues with devices accessing.

Also why are you on channel 5? How did you pick that channel? 1, 6 and 11 are the 3 channels that do not overlap each other - these are really the only 3 channels you should be picking from after looking to what other wireless networks are using with say inSSIDer or some other tool that shows the other wireless networks and strengths in your area.

Also what does "Network is turned on when required" mean? Are you turning off or unplugging your router?

"The connection problem can be not seeing network" Some times devices say "Network not in Range" or don't detect it ie Samsung S2 and Laptops, although its a saved connection.

Ok I thought Disabling SSID broadcast was a simple way to prevent people trying to access network, at least so not to get too much attention as it doesn't show unless someone looks for hidden.

Ill try 11 then as most near by are set at 1 -8 . As its only G. Is there any strength difference between 1 - 11.

I turn my modem and router off at the wall after using it in the evening, as we all work, its not in use all day and seems a waste of power leaving it running.

Turning off SSID is not going to help your situation. It sure is not hiding anything, sure it might keep grandma from seeing it next door. But your WPA2 setting and PSK is going to keep her from connecting to it ;)

Your SSID should be UNIQUE and broadcasting plain and simple, there is no one valid reason not to broadcast it. If anything it can make your network easier to see since now every device connected to it could be sending out your SSID vs just the router.

No there is no strength difference between channels - not sure where you would gotten such an idea from?

So what your router and modem use like what maybe 10-15w combined. Lets call it 20w which I find hard to believe to be honest.. Lets say you pay like $0.15 per kwh which is HIGH as HELL!!! And you turn them off for 16 hours a day your talking about a whole $1.5 a month your saving... Yeah I could see how that could be worth turning them on and off all the time ;)

Those are my HIGH estimates, I would guesstimate your saving more like 0.75 a month total at best.

Leave them ON, do you still have problems? Are you turning your modem on first and allowing it to get sync before you boot your router? If not your router might not be getting wan IP right away.. Since its wan has no connection until your modem has gotten sync with your ISP, now how long are you giving your router to boot before you turn on your devices?

Turning off your modem/router is not really best thing to do if your wanting to maintain connectivity, I can understand wanting to save power and all, but with these low wattage devices its not really saving you enough to worry about.

If your really interested in power consumption and saving -- I really suggest you get yourself a killawatt meter, and actually check what your devices draw, then do the math yourself. Your talking pennies at best with these devices - they normally don't have power switches even since they are meant to be left on.

edit:

Power usage really does interest me, I have system setup that logs my total house draw, currentcost envi device and that killawatt I mentioned -- best $20 you will ever spend if your interested in what stuff cost to run http://www.amazon.com/P3-International-P4400-Electricity-Monitor/dp/B00009MDBU

post-14624-0-80174400-1321309529_thumb.j

My wife is home all day, notice that spike after noon -- prob oven or dryer or dishwasher, etc. being used.

that router supports DD-WRT as i would put that on there since your current firmware is probably old etc.

you should have 4MB Flash/16MB of RAM on it.

'BS 14929' is the build i would probably try first.

and as usual... make SURE you follow proper instructions when flashing and always remember that.... hard-reset/flash/hard-reset/manually configure router to your liking is the rule of thumb. ignoring this could cause problems!

p.s. i am just assuming you got a "Linksys WRT54GL v1.0/v1.1"

Ordered mine from here, quite some time ago.. But your in the UK -- they are CHEAPER and more common I thought there, its a UK company.

http://currentcost.net/

You don't hear about them much in the US, love the product -- I had pre ordered the bridge, etc. Waiting for them to finish up with the website tacking back data like.. When googlepower was online it was better for that.

Would you mind pointing me in the direction for Wrt54gl Version 1.1. Regarding Wrt DD firmware.

Theres lots of beta's and builds. Not sure which to use.

Brainslayers: 14929

Generic Mini and Generic Standard ?