rumor iphone5 steve jobs

• Please log in to reply
25 replies to this topic

#1 Muhammad Farrukh

Muhammad Farrukh

The End is Nigh

• 7,621 posts

Posted 15 November 2011 - 18:25

Apple disappointed a lot of people when it didn't announce an iPhone 5 last month. Though owners of the new iPhone 4S are no doubt happy with their purchase, the world thought Apple was gearing up to launch a completely redesigned iPhone and the minor upgrade that was launched in its place was a huge disappointment. However, it seems an iPhone 5 was on the cards for this year, until just a few months prior the launch.

Business Insider cites a reliable industry source that's been right about Apple stuff in the past in reporting that the fully redesigned iPhone was real but was scrapped by Steve Jobs because he didn't like it. BI's source says that Apple engineers he knows thought a new, full redesigned iPhone was going to be Apple's next big announcement until about three months before the iPhone 4S was announced (so Julyish). BI's source says he spent two weeks with one of the new, redesigned phones (before the project was scrapped, we assume) and that the device had a large 4-inch display; was made of in-house prototype material (ie. not production quality); had an aluminum back, just like the rumors predicted; a messed up color profile on the screen (an attempt, he believes, to draw attention away from the fact that Apple planned on having a better screen on the iPhone 5); no physical home button; a flatter/thinner design; much improved performance; a woeful battery; a 10-megapixel lens; and a version of Siri, then called Assistant.

All in all, that sounds to us like a pretty impressive piece of equipment. So why did Steve Jobs toss this device in favor of the iPhone 4S? According to BI's source, there's a rumor among Apple staff that says Jobs wasn't happy with the size of the screen because it "fragmented" the iPhone line. Steve has expressed his distaste for massive screens in the past, so we're not surprised to hear that a 4-inch display didn't jive with him. Still, with phones getting bigger and bigger, we're starting to think customers will want a 4-inch iPhone soon. The iPhone 4S's 3.5-inch display is going to look quite small next to the Galaxy Nexus' 4.65-inch panel.

Source: TomsHardware.com

Edited by SHoTTa35, 15 November 2011 - 18:41. Reason: Formatting!

#2 ARchamps

ARchamps

Neowinian

• 502 posts

Posted 15 November 2011 - 18:28

4S looks okay but they haven't really changed anything besides the internal hardware (more ram, processor etc.) The Androids with their beautiful looking screens are looking nicer by the day. Might be time to jump ship from my Blackberry 9780 :shifty:

#3 SlapHappy

SlapHappy

Neowinian

• 15 posts

Posted 15 November 2011 - 18:38

I just upgraded. Could of went any route, was highly anticipating an iPhone 5, that did not happen and could not bring myself to buy an iPhone 4S because it was essentially the same thing as the iPhone 4 both cosmetically and OS so I decided to try Android. The phone is beautiful, screen is gorgeous, albeit a bit large. Plus it is LTE. The release of the 4s just cries ho hum to me. Like Apple has given up on innovation.

#4 Glassed Silver

Glassed Silver

☆♡Neowin's portion of Crazy♡☆

• 10,729 posts
  • Phone: iPhone 5 64GB Black (6.0.2)

Posted 15 November 2011 - 18:48

Apart from the housing matter there's nothing minor about the iPhone upgrade...

But I guess that's what most wanted with the new iPhone that cry the loudest: a new look.

IMHO the 4(S) look is incredibly and definitely hasn't worn out for me. I appreciate keeping the look.
I wouldn't mind getting my new iPhone next year (with good spec improvements of cause as usual) with the 4(S) look. :)

On a sidenote:
No problems with 3.5" here... Surely 4" would be nice, too, as it would also give a bit more room for battery (for god's sake, don't ridicule it again!).
I see the fragmentation issue and agree.

Seriously, I'll take the bigger battery over any reduction in size.
The iPhones all got pretty good sizes.
Give me say twice the effective battery life, then you can start tinkering with the size, but start from there.

Nevertheless, I like the iPhone, and it definitely is worth it to me, although there are a few drawbacks.
I ordered an external battery with 6000mAh to attach my iPhone to when I'm on a long trip.
This should get me sorted and my crying is less loud! :D

Glassed Silver:mac

#5 giantpotato

giantpotato

Neowinian Senior

• 3,137 posts

Posted 15 November 2011 - 18:51

Well this explains all those iPhone 5 cases with a new design that were leaked ahead of time, despite no iPhone 5 actually being released.

#6 Ironman273

Ironman273

Neowinian Fanatic

• 7,951 posts
  • Phone: Nokia Lumia 920

Posted 15 November 2011 - 21:45

What I don't get is that larger screen ≠ different resolution. They could've made the screen larger and kept the 960x620 resolution. It would not have fragmented the iPhone software at all. It was a bigger step to double the resolution than to push the screen a little bigger.

#7 giantpotato

giantpotato

Neowinian Senior

• 3,137 posts

Posted 15 November 2011 - 21:52

What I don't get is that larger screen ≠ different resolution. They could've made the screen larger and kept the 960x620 resolution. It would not have fragmented the iPhone software at all. It was a bigger step to double the resolution than to push the screen a little bigger.

Marketing probably. I'm guessing the "Retina Display" term couldn't technically be used anymore if they kept the same resolution since the pixels would now be distinguishable by the human eye. (maybe, I didn't do the math)

#8 Vice

Vice

Bye!

• 15,877 posts

Posted 15 November 2011 - 21:55

Marketing probably. I'm guessing the "Retina Display" term couldn't technically be used anymore if they kept the same resolution since the pixels would now be distinguishable by the human eye. (maybe, I didn't do the math)

I think you're right it would fall just under the 300 Pixels Per Inch threshold they set themselves when explaining what Retina meant to them.

#9 The_Decryptor

The_Decryptor

STEAL THE DECLARATION OF INDEPENDENCE

• 19,346 posts

Posted 16 November 2011 - 00:12

It's funny how phones were getting smaller and smaller, and now the goal is to apparently make them into tablets.

I think people expected too much out of the iPhone 5, so when it was released with the 4S name people were greatly disappointed that it didn't have "feature <x>", or a redesigned case (The 3GS and 3G case had barely any changes, so it's not unexpected).

#10 vetAndrew Lyle

Andrew Lyle

Don't Panic!

• 31,911 posts

Posted 16 November 2011 - 00:42

Who cares what Steve Jobs want, it's about the consumer and demand. People want a larger screen, so rather than telling people what they should use and lagging behind,money should just listen to consumers and keep up with the trends.

#11 Growled

Growled

Neowinian Senior

• 41,508 posts

Posted 16 November 2011 - 02:35

I prefer larger screens myself. My Inspire has a 4.3 inch screen. I think sometime in the near future Apple will rethink their strategy and decide a 4 inch screen is a good thing.

#12 Ironman273

Ironman273

Neowinian Fanatic

• 7,951 posts
  • Phone: Nokia Lumia 920

Posted 16 November 2011 - 02:46

Who cares what Steve Jobs want, it's about the consumer and demand. People want a larger screen, so rather than telling people what they should use and lagging behind,money should just listen to consumers and keep up with the trends.

I hate to say it, but no... Most of the time the public doesn't really know what they want. They'll want something without thinking of the downsides that an engineer or visionary would see. It's Apple's product and they should do what they want with it. If so many people dislike the 3.5" screen (which I find perfect for using the phone since a larger screen like on the HD7 strains my thumb when swiping stuff) then Apple will feel it in their bottom line.

#13 Tech Star

Tech Star

Neowinian Senior

• 10,547 posts

Posted 16 November 2011 - 02:50

No. People don't know what they want, they are too stupid to know what they really want and what really works. Having a phone screen more than 3.5" (or even 4") is too big and uncomfortable to work with one hand. Steve understood that.

#14 fsX

fsX

Neowinian

• 268 posts

Posted 16 November 2011 - 03:05

No. People don't know what they want, they are too stupid to know what they really want and what really works. Having a phone screen more than 3.5" (or even 4") is too big and uncomfortable to work with one hand. Steve understood that.

I just bought a Nexus S. It's my first smartphone and as such, prior to purchasing it I was afraid it'd be too big (its screen is 4"). Now I think it's just the right size and I would welcome bigger screens, whereas I struggle to use keyboards on 3,5" phones.

I just upgraded. Could of went any route, was highly anticipating an iPhone 5, that did not happen and could not bring myself to buy an iPhone 4S because it was essentially the same thing as the iPhone 4 both cosmetically and OS so I decided to try Android. The phone is beautiful, screen is gorgeous, albeit a bit large. Plus it is LTE. The release of the 4s just cries ho hum to me. Like Apple has given up on innovation.

Goodness gracious me.

#15 The_Decryptor

The_Decryptor

STEAL THE DECLARATION OF INDEPENDENCE

• 19,346 posts

Posted 16 November 2011 - 03:34

Posted Image

Just because users want something, doesn't mean it's the best solution. I used to be able to use my old Nokia phone one handed, but I can barely use my iPhone with one hand due to the screen size, making it larger would just make it harder to hold.