Are You Canadian? How's Your Money?

I was reading on the BBC about bank notes going plastic in Canada.

Just wondering how people are getting on with it? I presume it is very thin plastic, like coloured filter gels for theatre lights?

Cool beans!

As the article says, the general public won't see the bills widely used until 2013. Might see the odd $100 bill show up when doing large bank withdrawals.

The current bills aren't bad either, but excellent move either way; hopefully it'll cut down on the amount of ripped bills. And you can wash your money! lol

Right now it's only $100 bills, so chances are most of us haven't dealt with them. Over the next few years they'll be working their way down to the smaller denominations, then you'll have a better sample group.

I've had 3 of the new $100 :)

They are great, they feel a lot different..And part of it is clear, some very cool security features in it, I like it so far

Seem to be about as durable as the the previous ones though...Though I haven't really tested that out lol

Really? Good for the environment? PURE BS! Bio-degradable plastic on the other hand I would believe it.

I'm assuming its because they last a LOT longer than the paper bills.

where as paper bills get destroyed and have to be reprinted.

Bio-degradable wouldn't make sense since the bills wouldnt last as long and would need to be buried to decompose. and who throws away money? (illegal).

We have used Polymer notes in Australia for decades. They are fantastic. It is possible that Australia are printing the notes for Canada, we print many banknotes for other countries because they are so good.

They are very durable, so they last longer, and can be recycled when they have finished their circulation life which makes them "environmentally friendly".

I played with polymer bills back in 2002, when I was in Singapore. My aunts exhusband has some Australian $20's and I 'borrowed' them. They weren't much different than the regular bills.

Heck, they even folded similar to the cotton money we use now.

I heard it can't be folded... is that true? Do you have to keep it always straight? lol

No. It is quite flexible. If you fold it it will unfold itself straight away, unless you keep it folded for a while, then it will stay folded (and vice versa to made it unfolded by keeping it straight for a while). It does not lose strength when you do this, I have never ever torn or damaged a note.

We have used Polymer notes in Australia for decades. They are fantastic. It is possible that Australia are printing the notes for Canada, we print many banknotes for other countries because they are so good.

My understanding was that this Australian company supplies the Bank of Canada with the polymer material, and the Bank in turn prints the bills/notes.

Bank of Canada is - through Canadian contractors - printing it's own notes, I also believe it's got it's own polymer supplier somewhere here in Canada.

Production of the banknotes is outsourced to the Canadian Bank Note Company and BA International Inc (part of Giesecke & Devrient of Germany) in accordance with the specifications and requirements of the Bank of Canada. All wording on the notes appears in both of Canada's official languages, English and French. Both are located in Ottawa.

Bank of Canada is - through Canadian contractors - printing it's own notes, I also believe it's got it's own polymer supplier somewhere here in Canada.

Production of the banknotes is outsourced to the Canadian Bank Note Company and BA International Inc (part of Giesecke & Devrient of Germany) in accordance with the specifications and requirements of the Bank of Canada. All wording on the notes appears in both of Canada's official languages, English and French. Both are located in Ottawa.

Looks like the polypropylene substrate is made by Australia

"A contract for the supply of polymer material and

associated security features was negotiated with Note Printing Australia (NPA), a wholly owned

subsidiary of the Reserve Bank of Australia. The Bank has collaborated with the Reserve Bank to ensure

that the supply of material and access to intellectual property are assured. The substrate itself will be

supplied to NPA by the Australian company, Securency International, and the notes will be printed in

Canada by two private sector security printers, Canadian Bank Note Company, Limited and BA

International Inc., both based in Ottawa. "

http://www.bankofcanada.ca/wp-content/uploads/2011/06/currency_polymer.pdf

Ah, you're right, I missed that!

Looks like the polypropylene substrate is made by Australia

"A contract for the supply of polymer material and

associated security features was negotiated with Note Printing Australia (NPA), a wholly owned

subsidiary of the Reserve Bank of Australia. The Bank has collaborated with the Reserve Bank to ensure

that the supply of material and access to intellectual property are assured. The substrate itself will be

supplied to NPA by the Australian company, Securency International, and the notes will be printed in

Canada by two private sector security printers, Canadian Bank Note Company, Limited and BA

International Inc., both based in Ottawa. "

http://www.bankofcan...ncy_polymer.pdf

Ah, you're right. I missed that in the PDF! My bad.

So i've finally had a chance to "fee" it. To be honest i was expecting something different. Didnt like that bill at all.

Speaking of folds, if you properly fold it the fold will be visible. I am not sure how will it look after years in circulation.

As the article says, the general public won't see the bills widely used until 2013. Might see the odd $100 bill show up when doing large bank withdrawals.

I received my first new $100 bill on Friday. I was joking with my wife that I don't feel like spending it.

I've come across a few of the $100's in my job... I work in a strip-club so... You get people that have money spending on girls that have no clothing on. Big bills make their way through to me, eventually. Anyway, they are VERY thin... They feel ODD. Like I expected the same weight/thickness of the paper bills we have. The window in them is cool, it's like WHOA there is a hole in my money. They don't seem like they will stay nice looking long, as they are flimsy, but gosh are they tough. They don't rip, it takes quite a bit of force and the only thing that happens to them is that it like... creases, rather than ripping. I'm pretty sure money-laundering will have a new meaning as well... Washing your bills so they look new again.

TL;dr: Really cool new bills. Feel bad for cokeheads because they're flimsy and don't seem like they would roll well, then again, maybe none of the product will stick.

Bank of England still swears by paper money. Their latest new design is still paper and they say they are quite unlikely to move to plastic. I think they missed the boat completely and should have issued the new notes as plastic. I'm fed up of seeing tatty, falling to pieces money.

Received one of them the other day!

photo1fhm.th.jpg

Is it just me or does the object at the bottom of the clear window have a phallic shape? Hopefully it doesn't look like that in real life.