Facebook testing Windows 7 Messenger desktop client

Facebook testing Windows 7 Messenger desktop client

Facebook is testing a new Messenger client for Windows 7, according to reports.

The new desktop software will offer Windows 7 Facebook users access to Chat, the ticker feed and notifications. TechCrunch revealed the new client on Monday, reporting that it?s available in beta form to a limited test group. The standalone application is targeted towards users of Facebook?s chat service. Facebook?s most popular application on its platform is the Windows Live Messenger client which has 18.2 million daily active users. The new Messenger application was developed entirely by Facebook according to TechCrunch. The application only works on Windows 7 and Microsoft has reportedly not been involved in the development process.

Facebook and Microsoft have both been working together closely over a number of features on the popular social networking site. Facebook announced a video calling service earlier this year, powered by Microsoft?s Skype service. The service allows Facebook users to simply call a friend from a button at the top of an existing chat window. Facebook?s latest video feature sees Microsoft?s Skype service integrated fully into Facebook. Skype and Facebook users can also exchange chat messages using the Skype service. Facebook?s new timeline feature makes use of Microsoft?s Bing Maps to highlight user check-ins and other map days. Microsoft has been working closely with Facebook for its Windows Phone, Hotmail, Bing and Windows Live integration. Facebook?s messaging system also uses Microsoft?s Office Web Apps suite. Facebook users can also view Microsoft Word, Excel and PowerPoint documents in their browser.

523386258.jpg

Source: WinRumors

This could be good since I'm not a fan of the Facebook Chat on the site, though I'm not sure if I'd use their app for the chat. I linked my Facebook account with my Skype and I'd say it has the best integration of any IM client with Facebook since the chat windows all move together. It's part of the reason that Skype is my overall favorite IM platform as well. The tabs in the FB Chat app pictures remind me of the Chrome tabs but I suppose people will follow a popular design.

Looks nice and lightweight, unlike the atrocious official AIM, MSN, and Yahoo clients. But I am alreay using trillian 5 which has this + many other protocols and see no reason to switch.

one problem i noticed with messenger addons is that most of them use a Facebook App to tie into chat which blocks out chatting with anyone who don't have Facebook platform enabled. Hopefully an official cilent doesn't have the sam problem.

Wow, check out the crappy Chrome-clone tabs-on-the-bottom look. Yuck. Why would anybody use this over...any other existing IM client that already offers full support for Facebook chat, notifications, and feeds (read: almost all of them)?