mcdonalds where else but florida

• Please log in to reply
67 replies to this topic

#1 Hum

Hum

totally wAcKed

• 63,258 posts

Posted 22 November 2011 - 16:30

MADEIRA BEACH, FL - Deputies say a 48-year-old man stabbed a Golden Retriever after it bit his granddaughter's lip outside a Madeira Beach McDonald's.

The child, 4-year-old Shayna Lydick, was in the care of her grandparents at the fast food restaurant at 650 150th Avenue in Madeira Beach.

The girl approached the dog in the outdoor table area of the McDonald's. The dog responded by biting the child's lip.

Grandfather Shaw Riley of Seminole then stabbed the dog twice in the neck with a pocket knife, and the dog ran off to a row boat off a nearby dock.

The girl sustained injuries to her lip and may require reconstructive surgery.

The dog, a 9-year-old Golden Retriever named Sampson, was treated on scene by Madeira Beach Fire Rescue, and is expected to survive.

Pinellas County Animal Services has taken the dog into custody and will conduct the investigation.

more

#2 htcz

htcz

Neowinian Senior

• 1,821 posts

Posted 22 November 2011 - 16:33

100% behind the grandfather.

#3 shakey

shakey

It's soooooo Educational

• 11,021 posts

Posted 22 November 2011 - 16:34

Golden Retrievers are the nicest dogs , period. They are rated #1 for dogs that will not attack a human when provoked. Just look at any dog temperament charts and studies.
http://www.dogbreeds...er-puppies.html
I wouldn't be surprised if the little girl had done something to the dog to make him react as such.
I have a golden, and I know not all dogs are the same, but retrievers are some of the nicest and gentlest dogs.

#4 t_r_nelson

t_r_nelson

Neowinian Senior

• 2,112 posts

Posted 22 November 2011 - 16:36

Any dog can bite. They are animals. We have domesticated them but they are still animals and their instincts can kick in at any point in time.

#5 Wakers

Wakers

Neowinian Senior

• 1,865 posts

Posted 22 November 2011 - 16:38

I hope the guy gets fined or sent to jail. Nearly always when an animal attacks a kid, the kid has done something to provoke it. Especially when it's a dosile breed like a Golden Retriever. The animals realise they are young and merely corrects behaviour, as it would a pup.

Stabbing it in the neck is just downright cruel and criminal.

If the dog has issues and it can be confirmed without doubt that it was unprovoked, then you have to rehome the dog. At no point should it be stabbed or put down ffs.

#6 +Nik L

Nik L

Where's my pants?

• 34,333 posts

Posted 22 November 2011 - 16:44

100% against the grandfather.

Let a child in your care close enough to any unknown dog, you are at fault for what happens next.

I like dogs, I trust many dogs. I don't know anything about that dog other than it is an animal with the capability to either attack or misjudge it's friendliness.

Stabbing the dog is wholly out of order!

#7 rkenshin

rkenshin

Fists of Steel!

• 368 posts
  • OS: Windows 8 Pro, Mac OS 10.8, (VM's): Ubuntu 12.10, Fedora 17, Backtrack 5, Linux Mint, OpenSUSE

Posted 22 November 2011 - 16:48

Against the grandfather in this situation. The story doesn't cover exactly what the girl did to the dog. While the report "says" she approached it, what did she actually do to it? I honestly can say that almost every child "tortures" a dog (pulls on ears, pets heavily, pulls on skin, etc.). If somebody did that to you, I think you'd bite back as well (well, probably more like a punch though, haha.).

Still, Golden Retriever's are family oriented and friendly dogs. More than likely the girl did something to provoke the dog to bite her. The grandfather is sick that he stabbed him and it should be considered animal cruelty.

#8 selphj

selphj

Neowinian

• 336 posts

Posted 22 November 2011 - 16:59

As a dad of a 2 year old, I probably would have kicked that dog into next week. But honestly, why is this a story? Typical child-dog interaction. The child is ok, the dog is ok. We don't need to stop the presses over this.

#9 DavidM

DavidM

Neowinian Senior

• 1,790 posts

Posted 22 November 2011 - 17:05

I'm against the "blind dog lovers" in this thread, an animal bit a little girl and she has to have facial reconstruction surgury, but lets all make excuses for the animal. "Oh we know EVERY SINGLE golden retriver is perfect and would HAVE to had a child so something HORRIBLE in order to bite."

#10 ArialBlue

ArialBlue

var lulz;

• 1,768 posts

Posted 22 November 2011 - 17:07

Well the dog didn't get too mad at the child and kill it.

#11 Ravensky

Ravensky

Neowinian

• 571 posts

Posted 22 November 2011 - 17:11

Uethenize the dog and put the dogs owner in jail for allowing it to be running around biting people.

Problem solved....

#12 Sionic Ion

Sionic Ion

It is upon us

• 696 posts

Posted 22 November 2011 - 17:14

Any dog can bite. They are animals. We have domesticated them but they are still animals and their instincts can kick in at any point in time.

We are animals too. We are no different. We have logic, order and structure, that domesticated animals follow. But we are all animals. There are things that animals do not understand about us too...

I believe the dog did the right thing, my friend's daughter always pulls her dog's ears, nose, and smacks it randomly, just to see how her pet will react, it's stupid and cruel. There was more to the story, that living being had a reason for biting.

#13 cork1958

cork1958

Neowinian

• 8,347 posts

Posted 22 November 2011 - 17:27

We are animals too. We are no different. We have logic, order and structure, that domesticated animals follow. But we are all animals. There are things that animals do not understand about us too...

I believe the dog did the right thing, my friend's daughter always pulls her dog's ears, nose, and smacks it randomly, just to see how her pet will react, it's stupid and cruel. There was more to the story, that living being had a reason for biting.

Would be willing to bet ANY amount this is what happened as stated by Sionic Ion:
"pulls her dog's ears, nose, and smacks it randomly,"

Little kids don't know any better for one. Grandpa should've been watching the kid closer and labs way more often than not, do not bite, period!!

Sure, the dog's owner should've had it tied up or on a leash, but personally, I'm TOTALLY against Grandpa here.

#14 Enron

Enron

Windows for Workgroups

• 10,456 posts
  • Phone: Nokia Lumia 900

Posted 22 November 2011 - 17:34

Was the girl still in any danger or was this stabbing for "revenge" after she returned to grandpa with the bite on her lip?

If so, grandpa should be charged with animal cruelty and the owner of the dog charged with violation of any applicable leash laws.

#15 shakey

shakey

It's soooooo Educational

• 11,021 posts

Posted 22 November 2011 - 17:36

I'm against the "blind dog lovers" in this thread, an animal bit a little girl and she has to have facial reconstruction surgury, but lets all make excuses for the animal. "Oh we know EVERY SINGLE golden retriver is perfect and would HAVE to had a child so something HORRIBLE in order to bite."

I'll trust a dog over a human almost any day. Dogs live by instinct. You can basically set your clock by their actions and habits. If you maybe had more knowledge about the animal in question, as well as knowing how they react to situations and how kids normally behave towards animals, you would probably have a different opinion.

The real blame lies upon the grandfather and the owner of the dog. The grandfather should have been watching the 4 year old much more, because she is 4, and they are quick and small beings. The dog owner for not keeping his dog under his supervision.