mcdonalds where else but florida

• Please log in to reply
67 replies to this topic

#61 vetCalum

Calum

Neowinian Senior

• 13,211 posts

Posted 23 November 2011 - 13:09

Too many people are assuming too many unknown details in this thread.

1) We don't know whether the girl did anything to provoke the dog.
2) We don't know whether the dog has any mental problems or not.
3) We don't know whether the father had to use such force (or force of some degree) to stop the dog from doing more damage.
4) We don't know how the girl was able to go up to a strange dog without being stopped by the grandparent or carers; it may have somehow been an event the carers couldn't stop.

We don't know enough about this case to be able to place the blame on anyone.

#62 ThaCrip

ThaCrip

Neowinian Senior

• 3,574 posts

Posted 23 November 2011 - 13:21

We don't know the whole story from what it appears but in general stabbing a dog is not cool as dogs in general are pretty kind only way doing that would be justified in my mind is if he had no choice. but my guess is it was probably a revenge thing as i can't really see that dog being aggressive to the point he would have had time to notice the kid was being attacked as my guess it was a quick reaction bite from the kid probably handling the dog way to roughly so most likely it was a revenge sort of thing on the grandfathers part as i doubt very much that the dog was more than just a quick snap at the kid as for him to stab the dog twice i doubt very much the dog was posing any real threat at that time.

i think that's why people are defending the dog in here as dogs are generally so nice/innocent where as humans can be cruel etc. (i know it's a 4 year old but as others have said it makes you wonder if the kid provoked it as like was said kids can be quite rough with a dog as they don't realize how rough they are with them at that age i don't think)

i just hope the kid is OK and her lip is not to bad.

#63 ylcard

ylcard

Déu

• 3,041 posts

Posted 23 November 2011 - 14:10

Charge the little girl with assault and the old fart with attempted murder, I say.

#64 thechronic

thechronic

Neowinian Senior

• 2,018 posts

Posted 23 November 2011 - 14:26

i love dogs, i've had one and he was a treasured companion but in this situation, i am with the Grandfather. If an unknown animal attacked one of my children i'd possibly react the same way. Assuming the life or safety of the child was still at stake.

#65 jerzdawg

jerzdawg

Neowinian

• 5,408 posts

Posted 23 November 2011 - 14:32

Too many people are assuming too many unknown details in this thread.

1) We don't know whether the girl did anything to provoke the dog.
2) We don't know whether the dog has any mental problems or not.
3) We don't know whether the father had to use such force (or force of some degree) to stop the dog from doing more damage.
4) We don't know how the girl was able to go up to a strange dog without being stopped by the grandparent or carers; it may have somehow been an event the carers couldn't stop.

We don't know enough about this case to be able to place the blame on anyone.

#3 is the only one I will completely disagree. While I am still new to fatherhood I know enough that it is my responsibility to protect my child at all costs. Part of that is knowing who or what is around my child, including strange dogs. There are not too many 4 year olds out there that are not interested in everything they see and the kids guardian should have known better. Growing up my parents never let me walk up to a dog and start petting it, even today when I walk my dogs parents usually ask me first if their kid can pet my dogs.
Aside from that the rest of the story has too many unanswered questions that we will most likely not get answered. So my conclusion to all of this with whatever information I have from the article, I place full blame on the guardian of the child and the dog owner (if there is one)

#66 DJD

DJD

Call me Danny

• 904 posts

Posted 23 November 2011 - 14:43

If the dog wanted to harm her it would have gone for the throat.

I had a similar thing happen to me as a kid. I cuddled the dog to tight, the dog got scared and nipped me in the face.
This dog had known me for years, what happened to the dog? Nothing! because it was my own damn fault.

If there is anyone at fault its the grandfather, because he shouldn't have allowed her to approach a strange dog in the first place.
This is where Cesar Millian's rule of thumb comes into place when meeting a strange dog: No talk, no touch, no eye-contact.

#67 giantpotato

giantpotato

Neowinian Senior

• 3,142 posts

Posted 23 November 2011 - 15:00

When I was around 5, my dog bit me in the face and I had to have stitches, I still have a scar. It was totally my fault, I was trying to get him into the bathroom, but he had a complete fear of taking baths. My dad beat him half to death, which I felt horrible about since it was my own fault really.

Do I think the dog in the story deserved to be stabbed? Hell no. The punishment does not fit the crime, and in all likelihood the kid did something to provoke it. Stabbing a dog will not teach it a lesson, if anything it will be more aggressive towards strangers.

#68 OP Hum

Hum

totally wAcKed

• 63,504 posts

Posted 23 November 2011 - 15:28

Unless the dog was making a life-threatening attack, I would not try killing a dog.