Slower Download Speeds

I have Verizon FIOS as my ISP. For a long, long time my download speeds were really damn good. 4.1 MBps, even though I only pay for the 15/5 plan.

As of 2 days ago I noticed my speeds have dropped to 2.8 MBps. That is as fast as they will go. When I do a speedtest on speedtest.net, I get right around 25/5. So that pretty much matches the speeds I am getting.

So I am wondering, is it just a good chance somehow Verizon picked up on the fact I was getting faster speeds than I was paying for, and fixed it accordingly, or is there possibly something on my end that is slowing it down?

I have done all the basics, reset my router, reset my one switch upstairs, tried the other ethernet port on my mobo, tried another computer, all to no avail. Still now have the slower speeds than usual.

Tomorrow I am going to unplug literally everything and start plugging things in one by one, and seeing if that perhaps does anything. In the interim I am wondering, is there something else I can do to see if it is my internal network, or does it just sound like my free ride so to speak is up?

TIA for any help. And I do realize 2.8 Mbps down is still pretty damn good. I just know I have gotten better.

Verizon probably reduced the speeds in your area.

Yep, I think you are right. I had to run some errands before, and a whole block just a few blocks away from me (less than a half a mile) was completely closed down, and there were about 7 FIOS trucks working on the lines, etc. Oh well, was fun while it lasted. :cry: :laugh:

Seeing that saves me the headache of trying to rewire everything.