Learning Python, help me get started

Question

So Neowin, I need to begin learning Python. I am familiar with a variety of languages, from Basic to Visual Basic 6, C++ and C# (primarily the latter).

Looking for handy web resources, a suitable IDE, compiler and all that stuff.

7 answers to this question

So Harry, I see that you are inundated with replies! :laugh:

Anyway here is my contribution, perhaps you've already looked here so perhaps it's not that helpful but thought it could get you on your way! What OS are you using?

Hey brew, as someone else who has been looking into Python, I've found a crapload of resources for studying it. In fact, there's a full course entirely focused on Python over at MIT OpenCourseware, complete with video lectures, practice assignments, self testing, and links to a dozen free ebooks. The books are solid for people with some coding experience, but the course itself is presented as an entry-level computer science class for people with no experience. Even if that's not for you, maybe it'll help anyone else who's reading through this thread looking for tips on getting started:

http://ocw.mit.edu/courses/electrical-engineering-and-computer-science/6-00-introduction-to-computer-science-and-programming-fall-2008/index.htm

So Harry, I see that you are inundated with replies! :laugh:

Anyway here is my contribution, perhaps you've already looked here so perhaps it's not that helpful but thought it could get you on your way! What OS are you using?

Good things come to those who wait ;)

Thanks for the link, looks pretty handy!

I'm on Windows 7.

Hey brew, as someone else who has been looking into Python, I've found a crapload of resources for studying it. In fact, there's a full course entirely focused on Python over at MIT OpenCourseware, complete with video lectures, practice assignments, self testing, and links to a dozen free ebooks. The books are solid for people with some coding experience, but the course itself is presented as an entry-level computer science class for people with no experience. Even if that's not for you, maybe it'll help anyone else who's reading through this thread looking for tips on getting started:

http://ocw.mit.edu/c...-2008/index.htm

I've done a Computer Science degree... in the UK.

Cool, some nice little exercises and such there.

Looking for handy web resources, a suitable IDE, compiler and all that stuff.
I've used the PyDev eclipse plugin with success. It was bad, but it might have improved, I don't know. In general tools for dynamic languages are not on par with what you get in static languages like those you're used to. It's very hard to tell what a program does at compile time when there is no compile time.