Apple Seeks Ban on Sales of Revised Samsung Galaxy Tab 10.1N in Germany

Apple Seeks Ban on Sales of Revised Samsung Galaxy Tab 10.1N in Germany

Dow Jones Newswires reports that Apple has filed a request for a preliminary injunction that would bar Samsung from selling its new Galaxy Tab 10.1N in Germany. Samsung launched the 10.1N earlier this month as a design-tweaked variant of the original Galaxy Tab 10.1 that is already barred from sale in Germany under an earlier injunction.

Apple has requested a preliminary injunction, and the Duesseldorf regional court has scheduled a hearing on the matter on Dec. 22, a spokesman for the court told Dow Jones Newswires on Tuesday.

The move has no effect on sales and distribution of the product, Samsung said in an emailed statement, while Apple repeated earlier comments that it intends to protect its intellectual property.

Samsung slightly tweaked the design of the Galaxy Tab 10.1 hardware to create the 10.1N, resulting in a frame that wraps around slightly onto the front of the device along its two short sides. Apple clearly feels that this design is not sufficient to overcome the ruling that the Galaxy Tab design infringes upon Apple's designs for the iPad, and is thus pursuing the new injunction.

galaxy_tab_10_1_n_comparison.jpg

Galaxy Tab 10.1N (top) vs. Galaxy Tab 10.1 (bottom)

Meanwhile, FOSS Patents confirms that Apple's initial injunction awarded against the Galaxy Tab in Germany does in fact cover all three announced sizes of the device: 10.1, 8.9, and 7.7. Apple cites that injunction in a filing in its U.S. case against Samsung, illustrating how the company is using its string of wins over Samsung in international courts to bolster its U.S. case.

Source: Mac Rumors

If they have their way, the N model might get collector's status...

That of cause depends on the device's and company's further adoption/fan base.

Glassed Silver:mac

Apple must think their consumers are stupid asses if they cannot tell the difference....especially with the new N version. Oh, and the fact that Samsung's products have their name labeled on the front of their devices (at least my phone does) just confuses users even more on which is Apple and which is Samsung.

Apple must think their consumers are stupid asses if they cannot tell the difference....especially with the new N version. Oh, and the fact that Samsung's products have their name labeled on the front of their devices (at least my phone does) just confuses users even more on which is Apple and which is Samsung.

^ this. I think Apple thinks everyone is stupid.

Also fail troll is fail. I'm sure if Apple had it's way, they would ban everything from Samsung in every country.

^ this. I think Apple thinks everyone is stupid.

Also fail troll is fail. I'm sure if Apple had it's way, they would ban everything from Samsung in every country.

Apple wants to make sure they appeal to the illiterate. You know, people who cannot read/write and want to use an iPad and go on the web. iPads/iPhones are in high demand with the illiterate.

Sarcasm aside...Apple is only going after Samsung so aggressively because of how well they are doing and they are the #1 with Android.

Ugh. Get over yourselves, Apple. What was Samsung supposed to do? Make their tablet round? Maybe star-shaped? Or just quietly fade off, forget tablets, and let Apple have centre-stage alone? Sod off. If the only option I had was an iPad, I wouldn't own a tablet at all.

<3 Android

I don't see how it looks similar to the iPad 2 besides the fact that both devices have a tablet form factor. The silver frame makes it look distinctly different. It seems like Apple truly fears Samsung when it comes to tablets.

Well..........I bet a few of my customers wouldn't be able to tell the difference.