Airline Refuses to Give Refund to Cancer Patient

• Please log in to reply
23 replies to this topic

#1 Dusco25

Dusco25

Neowinian

• 736 posts

Posted 30 November 2011 - 01:06

U.S. Airways said they are standing by their decision not to refund money for tickets purchased by a woman diagnosed with terminal breast cancer.

Lynn McKain and her family had purchased five round-trip tickets earlier this year to Belize. The dream trip was booked after she had been cleared of breast cancer. However, she was recently diagnosed with stage four breast cancer and her doctor ordered her not to travel, according to a report on WUSA.

When the McKain family asked for a refund on their $4,200 tickets, the airline refused, explaining that the tickets were nonrefundable.
“We are so sorry to hear about the situation with Mrs. McKain and we empathize with her,” U.S. Airways spokesperson Liz Landau told Fox News & Commentary.

WUSA reported that McKain provided letters and medical documentation to the airline proving that she was not able to travel, but so far – the airline has refused to budge.

Outrage is growing online. A blogger at The Right Sphere called the airline’s decision “cold, heartless and just plain mean.”

Read More

#2 Tekkerson

Tekkerson

Droppin' them beats like hot potatoes.

• 1,390 posts

Posted 30 November 2011 - 01:10

I sympathize but the woman needs to stop acting like a victim, everyone knows that it's policy that plane tickets are non-refundable. Again, sucks that she has cancer but that doesn't exclude her from being treated like everyone else.

#3 Original Poster

Original Poster

Systems Developer

• 2,989 posts
  • Phone: Android

Posted 30 November 2011 - 01:28

yea, it sucks for her but maybe she can try and flog them? not being funny but no one should get a refund unless its fault of the airline ...
I would get ****ed off if i wanted to refund a ticket and they let someone else do it ... you may be thinking "dude she is sick" ... but not my problem, not the airlines problem.. and its not your problem its hers same as the tickets, im sure she will find someone to buy them maybe she should just knock a few hundred off the price

i am a heartless ****** but oh well

#4 Simon-

Simon-

Neowinian Senior

• 10,724 posts

Posted 30 November 2011 - 01:33

Isn't this what travel insurance is for? It is nice when airlines re-book your flight for free because of unexpected medical condition, but I don't think that they are obligated to.

#5 Pam14160

Pam14160

Lee

• 2,312 posts

Posted 30 November 2011 - 01:44

Feel sorry for her, however, it was not the airline's fault that the woman got cancer. I realize that it sounds as if the airline is being mean, but they have to look at their policy and enforce that policy regardless how inhuman it may look or sound. Just because you get sick does not mean you should receive special treatment.

#6 Detection

Detection

Detecting stuff...

• 8,369 posts

Posted 30 November 2011 - 01:48

Take out the word cancer, and you just have someone who cant travel on the date they booked their flight for. Replace it with the words "The Flu" - they're not gonna get a refund either

#7 Boxster17

Boxster17

Porsche Enthusiast

• 1,713 posts

Posted 30 November 2011 - 01:53

As crappy as that situation is for her, I don't see why the airline needs to refund her money. They offered future travel credits for them which is more than they need to do considering she chose not to purchase travel insurance (which would cost peanuts compared to the ticket prices).

If they give refunds in this case, then where do you draw the line on these medical excuses? Everyone has had something unexpected happen in their lives but it's stated quite clearly when things are non-refundable. I wish her all the best in her fight with cancer but the airlines aren't obliged to do anything more, nor do I really think they should.

#8 SirEvan

SirEvan

Neowinian Senior

• 3,397 posts
  • Phone: HTC One (AT&T)

Posted 30 November 2011 - 01:58

Take out the word cancer, and you just have someone who cant travel on the date they booked their flight for. Replace it with the words "The Flu" - they're not gonna get a refund either

Thank you. Agree with everyone else, I sympathize with her and the family, but s*it happens. If they do it for one, they have to do it for all. People getting outraged are just morons.

#9 Wolfbane

Wolfbane

Neowinian

• 866 posts

Posted 30 November 2011 - 03:26

Thank you. Agree with everyone else, I sympathize with her and the family, but s*it happens. If they do it for one, they have to do it for all. People getting outraged are just morons.

And she's a moron for not getting travel insurance.

#10 firey

firey

F͎̗͉͎͈͑͡ȉ͎̣̐́ṙ͖̺͕͙̓̌è̤̞͉̟̲͇̍̍̾̓ͥͅy͓̍̎̌̏̒

• 8,001 posts
  • Phone: Android (4.4.2)

Posted 30 November 2011 - 03:39

Im with everyone else. Sure the fact she was re-diagnosed with cancer sucks, but why should a company change their policies for a freak-of-nature event. Just like they have set policies for inclement weather, they never change.

#11 1941

Banned

• 18,175 posts

Posted 30 November 2011 - 03:40

If it was just her ticket she may have gotten a refund, but this was for 5 tickets.

#12 Black Hawk

Black Hawk

Neowinian Senior

• 1,935 posts

Posted 30 November 2011 - 03:41

everyone knows that it's policy that plane tickets are non-refundable.

They still sell regular priced tickets that are refundable, it's just that the ones people buy online aren't.

#13 remixedcat

remixedcat

meow!

• 10,072 posts
  • Phone: I use telepathy and cat meows to communicate

Posted 30 November 2011 - 10:50

that's pretty damn stupid how you can't refund tickets..... airlines/ports suck.

#14 MidnightDevil

MidnightDevil

Resident Evil

• 2,177 posts

Posted 30 November 2011 - 11:31

Even though I don't agree with the non-refundable tickets to an extend (till 15 days of the flight date?) I have to say... It's airport policy for everyone.. it sucks that she was diagnosed with cancer, but its the rules :\

#15 +Nik L

Nik L

Where's my pants?

• 34,149 posts

Posted 30 November 2011 - 11:37

I sympathize but the woman needs to stop acting like a victim, everyone knows that it's policy that plane tickets are non-refundable. Again, sucks that she has cancer but that doesn't exclude her from being treated like everyone else.

This

Isn't this what travel insurance is for?

And this